Eight Lions Await News about Swimming National Championships
SAINT LEO, Fla. – As the NCAA and USA Swimming fill the NCAA Division II national swimming field, Saint Leo swimmers Tim Olson, Gabe Keown, Michael Cozzi, Rhet Rheinlander, Derek Maddigan, Carl Roycroft, and Sandra Stopczynska await news of a possible selection into the National Championships that will be held in Mansfield, Texas over March 13 - 17.
"It's a little unnerving to wait on the results as people enter or opt out of certain events," Head Coach Paul Mangen said in looking at the piles of highlighted papers on his desk marking possible A- and B-cuts. "The cap is still relatively low, so it's going to produce an extremely limited field. I'm proud of all of these athletes for improving from last year and putting our program on the forefront of Division II swimming."
The Lions are awaiting bids in the following events -
- Olson - 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 200 freestyle, and 100 butterfly.
- Keown - 50 freestyle, 100 freestyle, 200 freestyle
- Cozzi - 100 freestyle, 200 freestyle, 500 freestyle, 1000 freestyle, and 1650 freestyle
- Rheinlander - 100 backstroke
- Maddigan – 200 breaststroke
- Roycroft – 200 breaststroke
- Stopczynska - 200 breaststroke
Additionally, four of the five Saint Leo relays have preliminarily qualified for the first time in school history with an average rank of 19th.
Stay tuned to SaintLeoLions.com as the members of the Green and Gold await the NCAA National selection process.