SAINT LEO, Fla. – On the night where Saint Leo was honoring their seniors, Teddy Auyoma stole the spotlight and scored two goals in the 3-2 win over Florida Southern on Saturday, Oct. 22, including the game-winner in the 88th minute, at University Soccer Field in a Sunshine State Conference matchup.
"I am speechless …" head coach Keith Fulk stated after the 3-2 win over Florida Southern. "The way these guys are playing, especially after the way we started the season is unbelievable. They have come a long way in two months, and being able to get another win here tonight in front of the home crowd was amazing."
Marcelo Casas found the back of the net first in the win after Bafou Sanogo crossed a ball deep inside the Moccasins box. Teddy Auyoma would tally two goals including the game-winner on a free-kick just outside of the box bending it around the wall for the win.
Saint Leo recorded just two more shots over Florida Southern, 13-11, where the Moccasins led the foul count 13-12.
Final Results: Saint Leo def. Fla. Southern 3-2
Where: University Soccer Field | Saint Leo, Fla.
Record: SLU 5-6, 3-4 SSC | FSC 6-5-1, 2-4-1 SSC
How It Happened
27'| Florian Thumm broke the scoreless tie in the 27th minute after he cut across the top of the box and finishing the shot into the left upper-90. | FSC 1-0 |
57'| Coming out after the break, Marcelo Casas tied up the game with a one-timer from Bafou Sanogo. Sanogo found himself deep in Moccasin territory crossing to a wide open Casas. | Tied 1-1 |
66'| Just 10 minutes later, FSC would go on to lead after Jonathan Radvogin found the back of the net from the top of the box, watching the ball glance off the left post and in. | FSC 2-1 |
68'| Two minutes later, Teddy Auyoma would challenge the Mocs defenders and blocking a clear attempt, as the ball flew over the keepers head for the tying goal. | Tied 2-2 |
88'| Auyoma would break the tie with two minutes to play after the Lions were awarded a free-kick just outside of the box. Auyoma bent the ball around the wall and into the left side of the goal. | SLU 3-2 |
Points to Note
- Saint Leo improves to 5-6, 3-4 SSC after picking up their third straight victory.
- Teddy Auyoma stole the show on Saint Leo's senior night scoring two goals – his fourth and fifth – to move into the leading spot on the team in points on the season. Auyoma now has 11 points with five goals and one assist.
- Marcelo Casas added his fourth goal of the season to tie the game in the 57th minute. Casas is second on the team with nine total points – four goals, one assist.
- Bafou Sanogo picked up his first assist of the season on the Casas goal.
- Keeper James White moves to 4-2 on the year after the 90 minutes in goal. White recorded two huge saves on four shots on goal from the Mocs.
For the Opponent – Florida Southern
- The Moccasins fall to 6-5-1, 2-4-1 SSC after the 3-2 loss at Saint Leo.
- Florida Southern saw goals from Florian Thumm and Jonathan Radvogin in the setback.
- FSC fired off 11 shots on the night and committed 13 fouls.
- Goalie Colie Clingerman falls to 6-5-1 on the year between the posts for the Mocs. Clingerman recorded three saves on six shots on goal from the Lions.
Saint Leo heads to Fort Lauderdale on Oct. 26 for a 7 p.m. SSC showdown against Nova Southeastern.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo men's soccer team, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.