SAINT LEO, Fla. – Saint Leo men's soccer team was blanked 3-0 on Wednesday night against Rollins at University Soccer Field.
The Tars used one first half goal and two second-half goal to get the win. Saint Leo held the advantage in the first half in shots 7-4 before the game equaled out to a 12-11 finish in favor of the Lions.
Final Results: Rollins def. Saint Leo 3-0
Where: University Soccer Field | Saint Leo, Fla.
Record: SLU 2-4, 1-4 SSC | RC 5-2-1, 1-1-1 SSC
How It Happened
17'| On a cross into the box, a Saint Leo defender fell to the ground and the ball landed on his chest. The referee called a hand ball and the Tars Tosan Popo put the penalty kick in to take the lead. | RC 1-0 |
60'| Popo drove down the left side of the box, cut back and centered the ball for James Winchester who put it past the Lions' keeper and the last defender to take a two-goal lead. | RC 2-0 |
75'| A ball played from the Tars Alex Chopra, to the left side of the box, found Matt Volk who then lifted it over Saint Leo's keeper for the third goal of the night. | RC 3-0 |
Points to Note
- Saint Leo falls to 2-4, 1-4 SSC after the 3-0 setback to Rollins.
- Keeper Conor McElhinney goes to 1-3 on the year as he tallied two saves on five shots on goal. McElhinney saved a second Tosan Popo penalty kick in the 55th minute to keep the game at 1-0.
- A slew of Lions came off the bench in their first appearance in the green and gold.
For the Opponent – Rollins
- The Tars move to 5-2-1, 1-1-1 SSC. Tosan Popo, James Winchester and Matt Volk all net goals for Rollins.
- Keeper Drew Trautmann tallied four saves on four Saint Leo shots-on-goal.
Saint Leo will step out of conference play and travel to Pensacola for a 1:30 pm ET kick against West Florida.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo men's soccer team, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.