DALLAS, Tex. – The National Collegiate Baseball Writer's Association (NCBWA) released its initial weekly NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards of the season for the period ending February 2. Saint Leo junior infielder Nick Perez was named the National Player of the Week and the South Region Player of the Week.
Saint Leo junior utility player Nick Perez led the No. 17/No. 28 Lions to a three-game sweep on the road at North Georgia in their season opener. Perez batted .706 (12-for-17) with four hits in each game. He had five RBIs and five runs, while also slugging for .941 with two doubles and one triple. He drove in two game-winning runs, including the winning RBI in the top of the 11th in game three for a 5-4 victory.
Just hours after he was officially named the National Player of the Week, Perez led his team offensively in the Lions' home opener against Johnson University. The utility man logged five at-bats with three hits and an RBI in the 10-3 win.
For the full list of Division II Regional Players of the week, see below.
Perez and his team will return to action on Friday, February 7 when they head to Montevallo for a three-day, three-game series. First pitch in the regional contest is set for 3:00 p.m. Friday.
For more on Nick Perez and his Saint Leo squad, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Also, be sure to 'Like' the Lions on Facebook and 'Follow' Saint Leo Athletics on Twitter and Instagram.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: No Nominations
- Central: Jackson McCurdy, Southern Arkansas (Hitter); Davis Ward, Ouachita Baptist (Pitcher)
- East: No Nominations
- Midwest: No nominations
- South: Nick Perez, Saint Leo (Hitter); Jordan DeLorenzo, West Florida (Pitcher)
- South Central: Taylor Taska, Texas A&M-Kingsville (Hitter); Jake Feckley, Angelo State (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Will Fulmer, Montevallo (Hitter); Garrett Hickman, UNC Pembroke (Pitcher)
- West: Nathan Antoun, Cal Baptist (Hitter); Sean Becker, Cal State East Bay (Pitcher)