Revell Goes 4-for-5 in Lions' 11-3 Rout of Eckerd
FINAL: Saint Leo 11, Eckerd 3 – (St. Petersburg, Fla. –Turley Athletic Complex)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Newcomb (CF), Vitale (3B), Twitty (RF), Moses (LF), Revell (1B), Brnovich (DH), Rawdow (2B), Torres (C), Perez (SS), Krauss (P)
ECKERD STARTERS: Dunham (CF), Moreau (2B), Spinelle (3B), Bishop (RF), Vavasis (LF), Abadal (DH), Hanson (1B), Petika (C), Andrews (SS), Cruz-Sanchez (P)
AT A GLANCE: Saint Leo (26-12, 6-7 SSC) rallied in the sixth inning to break away from Eckerd (14-22, 2-14 SSC) en route to an 11-3 rout of the Tritons. Lions' starter Brent Krauss struck out eight batters in 3.1 innings before handing the ball over to Michael Dunnigan (5-0) who would go on to earn the win for the Lions. Holding a 3-2 lead in the sixth, Taed Moses sent a two out hit into left field to bring home the first two runs of the five run inning.
- Saint Leo got on the board first, in the second inning when three hits from Ryan Brnovich, Rawdow, and Taylor Perez load the bases. The next play, two runs crossed the plate when the Tritons botched a double play on a ground ball from Chris Newcomb. Then with two outs in the inning, Vitale doubled to left-center that brought home Newcomb to make it a 3-0 Lions' lead.
- Despite striking out five Tritons in his first six attempts, Krauss allowed a run in the second when a walk and a wild pitch led to an RBI base hit from Tyler Abadal.
- After three consecutive scoreless innings the Lions broke through for five runs in the top half of the sixth. With two outs Taed Moses stroked a base hit past diving third baseman Lee Spinelle that brought home Dillon Vitale and Daniel Torres to give the Lions a three run lead. On the next play Michael Revell blooped a shallow fly ball into left field that landed right on the head of sliding left fielder Mike Vavasis, bringing home two more runs for Saint Leo.
- In the seventh, Vitale doubled for the second time this game, bringing home Torres to give the Lions a 9-2 lead.
- The Lions tacked on two more runs in the eighth when Torres knocked in two runs on a two out line drive into left field.
- Revell went 4-for-5 with two RBI in the series opening win.
- Krauss tossed 3.1 innings with eight strikeouts before leaving the game in the fourth. He gave up just one run and four hits in his time on the mound.
- Picking up two clutch RBI in the sixth was Moses, who with two outs drilled a ball into left field that extended the Lions' lead and eventually gave Saint Leo some breathing room
- Dunnigan picked up his second win in as many games and improved his overall record to 5-0 after he tossed 3.2 innings and allowed just one run. The freshman struck out five and allowed just three hits—all of which came in his final inning of work.
- Going 2-for-3 with two doubles and two RBI was Vitale.
- Brnovich collected three hits and scored a run for the Lions.
- Tallying two hits on the evening were Perez and Torres.
Saint Leo gets right back at it tomorrow for a doubleheader against the Tritons. First pitch of game one has been changed to 12:00 PM. The second game of the doubleheader will begin approximately 30 minutes following the conclusion of game one.