FINAL: Saint Leo 13, Warner 10 – (Lake Wales, Fla. –Royals Field)
SAINT LEO STARTERS: Gill (2B), Stancil (RF), Vitale (C), Moses (LF), Revell (1B), Newcomb (CF), Wan (3B), Turner (DH), Perez (SS), Neely (P)
WARNER STARTERS: Mejia (2B), Groubert (LF), Burgess (3B), Gross (RF), Kirby (CF), Langston (1B), Hunter (C), McClenithan (DH), Perez (SS), Hagy (P)
AT A GLANCE: Saint Leo (25-12) edged Warner University (18-29) in a sloppy game by a score of 13-10. In a back and forth game of runs and errors, Warner rallied for three runs in the ninth innings to force extra innings. In the top half of the 10th inning Dillon Vitale doubled down the right field line to give the Lions the lead, this time for good.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Leo scored in the top of the first to take a 1-0 lead after Cole Stancil bunted for a hit and Vitale singled through to right field to set up a sacrifice fly from Taed Moses.
- In the bottom of the second with Saint Leo holding a 1-0 lead, the Royals put up a four-spot after the Lions committed three errors in the inning.
- The Lions' offense came right back though in the next half inning by putting three more runs on the board to tie the game at four runs apiece. Stancil and Vitale once again started the rally, this time with a walk and a base hit, and with men on first and third Moses doubled to right center, bringing home his second RBI of the game. Newcomb then brought home Vitale on an infield single, and the Lions' third run of the inning came when Moses crossed home on a single up the middle from Kory Wan.
- Heading into the bottom of the third in a 4-4 tie, Warner once again took the lead when a run came home on a wild pitch from Charles Neely.
- In the top half of the fourth inning Saint Leo regained the lead, 6-5, when a walk and a hit by pitch allowed Nick Gill and Stancil to reach base safely. After a failed pickoff attempt put both runners in scoring position, both runners came home on base hits from Vitale and Moses.
- Warner evened the game back up at in the bottom of the seventh when, with the Lions' infield in, a ground ball in the infield scored the Royal base runner from third on a close play at the plate.
- The Lions took control of the game in the top of the eighth inning when four runs were plated in the inning. Blake Turner smoked a double to right-center to get the rally started and scored on a base hit right back up the middle from Gill. Stancil would then hit a sacrifice fly just deep enough into centerfield to bring home Taylor Perez from third base. Then, with two outs and a man on base, Vitale unloaded on a fastball from Dakota Mitchell.
- After scoring a single run in the eighth, Warner rallied for three runs in the ninth to tie the game, 10-10.
- In extra innings, Vitale came through once again, collecting his fifth hit of the game on an two-RBI double down the right field line. Michael Revell then singled through the right side to extend the Lions' lead to three.
- Vitale led the way offensively, going 5-for-6 with 5 RBI and a homerun.
- Moses brought home 2 RBI while going 2-for-5 with a double at the plate.
- Stancil scored four runs in the ball game, after reaching base on three walks and another coming on a bunt single down the third base line.
- Gill went 2-for-4 with a walk, an RBI, two runs scores, and a stolen base.
- Chris Williams tossed 3.2 innings while allowing just one earned run during his work.
- Michael Dunnigan, who came on in relief in the bottom of the ninth, earned the win for the Lions on the mound.
Saint Leo gets back into conference play this weekend when they head to St. Petersburg for a three-game set with the Tritons of Eckerd College. First pitch for the series opener on Friday is set for 6:00 p.m. Saturday's games are scheduled for 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.