SAINT LEO, Fla. - The Saint Leo baseball team (16-27) will host Webber International in a non-conference contest at Thomas B. Southard Stadium Wednesday night at 6:00 p.m.
The last meeting between the two team resulted in a 5-4 victory for the Warriors, on March 21 in Babson Park, Fla. Freshman Austin Buck tossed four solid innings, surrendering one run in the third inning while striking out four. The damage was done by the Lions bullpen as they allowed four runs in four innings on six hits.
SLU’s offense collectively put together seven hits while scoring four. All but three starters reached with a hit against a Warriors team that sent seven pitchers to the mound.
Last time Out…
The Lions’ bullpen surrendered seven runs in the top of the eighth, as the Saint Leo baseball team dropped an 8-5 decision to No. 5 Florida Southern at Southard Stadium on Tuesday evening. In a game that saw 12 hits for the Lions and five runs scored, the Saint Leo offense came from Eugene Garnett Jr., Dustin Brown and Ware Hart. Garnett Jr. was 2-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI, while Brown was 2-for-5 with a run scored, a home run and two RBIs, and a 1-for-4 performance with an RBI by Hart. In his first start of the season, senior Seth Fowler tossed six innings, surrendering one run on five hits while striking out three. Caleb Fuddy and Jamie Tutko would follow Fowler’s performance by piecing together a scoreless inning despite walking three Mocs.
About Saint Leo… (As of 04/11/10)
• Saint Leo is third in the Division II nation in double plays turned with 44.
• SLU is fourth in the SSC in hitting with a team batting average of .324.
• The Lions’ .965 fielding percentage is second best in the SSC and 30th in the country.
• With 448 hits, Saint Leo is 30th in the country and second best in the conference.
• The Lions are tied with No. 26 Florida Tech for second in the SSC in doubles with 88.
• SLU leads the conference in triples with 16.
• Saint Leo tops the SSC in stolen bases with 75.
• Dustin Brown is fifth in the conference with 58 hits.
• Ryan Powers’ 44 RBI is top five in the SSC.
• J.C. Suarez’s four triples is one shy of the University of Tampa’s Tyler Cox, five.
• Brown and Suarez are tied for second in the conference in stolen bases with 15.
• JC Suarez is 72nd in the nation with 60 hits.
• Powers 15 doubles has him 54th in the country.
• JC Suarez and Dustin Brown are 26th in Division II with 26 triples.
• 75 stolen bases have SLU standing at 26th in the nation.
About Webber International…
The Warriors (21-25) are traveling from Babson Park, Fla. They are part of the Sun Conference in the NAIA. WIU is entering today’s contest dropping their last six in a row. Webber International’s key win this year was against Division I foe Ohio State University, who was ranked 22nd at the time. In the 9-0 win Webber’s offense collected nine runs on 12 hits, while their pitching blanked the Buckeyes, behind eight different pitchers. OSU managed to get four hits while stranding three runners.