SAINT LEO, Fla. - The Saint Leo baseball team (16-26, 4-12 SSC) will entertain No. 5 Florida Southern (34-5, 12-3 SSC) in a non-conference game on Tuesday night at Thomas B. Southard Stadium. The game will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be covered through the live stats tracker on the SaintLeoLions.com. This will be the last time these two teams will meet in 2010.
In the teams’ last meeting on March 19th, Saint Leo took one game out of three from the then top-ranked Mocs at the Historic Henley Field in Lakeland. The Lions received an exceptional pitching performance from junior Marshall Stalvey in a complete game, 3-2 victory. In the rubber game the Saint Leo took a commanding six run lead in the top of the first against Mocs’ starter, Gus Schlosser but the Lions would only score four more runs after the first inning, while FSC would score in every inning except the fourth, including a walk-off home-run by Zach Maggard to defeat the Lions, 11-10 and claim the series.
As a result of his outing, Stalvey was chosen as the SSC Pitcher of the Week on Monday after playing a key role in the Lions’ defeat over Florida Southern. Stalvey’s performance gave Saint Leo their 18th victory all-time against Florida Southern. He was tossing a shutout untill the bottom of the seventh where he surrendered the only two runs the Mocs would get. In nine innings he allowed two runs on nine hits while walking one and striking out five. The Lions had a well- rounded team effort throughout the series, but Ware Hart and JC Suarez stooud out for Saint Leo; combined they were 12-for-24 with five runs scored and one RBI.
About Saint Leo
- The Lions have a 2-9 record this year against Top-25 Opponents.
- Saint Leo tops the Division II nation in double plays turned with 46.
- SLU is fourth in the SSC in hitting with a team batting average of .324.
- The Lions’ .965 fielding percentage is second best in the SSC.
- 448 hits is not only top-50 in the country, it is second best in the conference.
- The Lions are tied with No. 26 Florida Tech for second in the SSC in doubles with 88.
- SLU leads the conference in triples with 16.
- Saint Leo tops the SSC in stolen bases with 75.
- Dustin Brown is not only highly ranked in the nation but is fifth in the conference with 58 hits.
- Ryan Powers’ 44 RBI is top five in the SSC.
- J.C. Suarez’s four triples is one shy of the University of Tampa’s Tyler Cox, five.
- Brown and Suarez are tied for second in the conference in stolen bases with 15.
About Florida Southern
The Mocs are 9-time National Champions and recently had alumnus Matt Joyce make it into the Major League Baseball with the Tampa Bay Rays.
Florida Southern enters Southard Stadium riding a nine-game win streak. The last time these two teams faced each other, FSC was on a seven game winning streak when the Lions snapped it with a win. FSC holds the all-time record against the Lions at 119-18-1. The Mocs are coming off a series sweep against the defending National Champions, Lynn University, 16-12, 4-3 and 3-2. Max Russel has become a force to be reckoned with in the SSC as his domination on the mound has him tops in the conference in strike outs with 82. He has also caught 27 batters looking and he leads the SSC with eight wins. The Mocs’ closer Daniel Tillman leads the conference in saves with 11.
written by Andrew Davino