Thursday, March 3
- No. 11 Saint Leo hosts No. 14 West Virginia Wesleyan Wednesday in a double-header to open a five game weekend
- The Lions moved up from No. 14 last week to No. 11 in this week’s poll marking the highest rank by a Saint Leo softball team in program history.
- Last week Saint Leo defeated Nova Southeastern three games to none in the three game series at home. The Lions outscored the Sharks 38-0 in 16 innings after a 22-0 lashing in five innings to start the series off. Saint Leo followed that by two 8-0 games one in five innings and another in six.
- Saint Leo was led last week by SSC player of the week Sommer Pollard who slugged a .714 and had a .714 batting average. Pollard went 5-for-7 from the plate with six runs scored and two RBI. She walked once and went 1-for-1 in stolen bases. Behind the dish for the Lions, she had 20 putouts to finish with a 1.000-field percentage.
- All three pitchers – Stephanie Adkins, Alana Tabel and Samantha Tyler – finished with a 0.00 staff ERA and combined for 17 strikeouts and only six hits. Adkins threw a no-hitter in game one against the Sharks.
- On the season, the Bobcats are led by Anna Eggleston who owns a .407 batting average and a .556 slugging percentage. WVWC outscores their opponents 36-5 on the year in their 8-0 record. Pitching for the Bobcats sees Eggleston lead the way with a 0.00 ERA in three games with a 3-0 record.
- Following the Saint Leo West Va. Wesleyan matchup Thursday, the Lions will head to Eckerd on Saturday and Sunday where the game Saturday is at 5pm and Sunday’s double-header starts at 1pm. The Tritons will come into the game with an 11-5-1 record and a 0-0 record in the SSC. Saturday STATS VIDEO | Sunday STATS VIDEO
Friday, March 4
Saint Leo men’s and women’s track at Tampa Invitational
Where: UT Pepin-Rood Stadium – Tampa, Fla.
When: Friday, March 4
- Saint Leo men’s and women’s track opens its 2016 season on Friday with an appearance at the Tampa Invitational. Bethune-Cookman, Brewton-Parker College, Florida Southern, Notre Dame College (Ohio), South Florida State, Southeastern, Warner, will compete in the event, along with the host University of Tampa squad.
- Friday’s Tampa Invitational will be something of a tune-up meet for the Lions, giving Head Coach Kent Reiber and his staff an opportunity to gauge where his runners are at in relation to other Sunshine State Conference competitors, and to tweak training accordingly.
- The first event on the schedule will be the 400 Hurdles at 6:00 p.m., and culminates with the 4x400m Relay at 9:15 p.m. Saint Leo athletes will be entered into the 100m, 1500m, 400m, 200m, 800m, and the 5000m races. Colett Rampf will compete in the 1500m and is expected to place among the race leaders, while the Saint Leo are expected to lead the pack in the 5000m. Anthony Deleva and Laura Tobin will both be making their competitive debut in a 5000m track race.
Saint Leo baseball vs. Northwestern (4-4)
Where: North Charlotte Regional Park – Port Charlotte, Fla.
When: Friday, March 4 – 6:00 pm
- Saint Leo baseball embarks upon a grueling three-week stretch that sees the Lions play 16 games over the next 21 days, starting with this weekend’s contests against Division I Northwestern as well as Division II foes Upper Iowa and Mansfield (Pa.). The Upper Iowa and Mansfield games will be part of the Clearwater Invitational, hosted at the Jack Russell Stadium in Clearwater, Fla. Saint Leo and Northwestern will meet on the diamond at the North Charlotte Regional Park.
- The Lions will be facing their second Division I opponent in as many seasons in Friday’s clash with Northwestern. Saint Leo squared off with Nebraska-Omaha in 2015, and hung a 4-3 loss on the Mavericks on the same Port Charlotte field on which they will face the Big Ten Wildcats on Friday. Northwestern brings a 4-4 record into Friday’s game, and the Wildcats are coming off a split of a four-game series at Pacific in Stockton, Calif. Friday’s matchup will see Northwestern RHP Dan Kubiuk (0-0, 1.80 ERA, 5.0 IP) go against Saint Leo RHP Andrew Cohen (1-2, 4.50 ERA, 22.0 IP)
- Upper Iowa, out of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, will be in their second game of the day when they face the Lions on Sunday afternoon; the Peacocks will go up against Mansfield University in a 10:00 a.m. contest earlier on Sunday. Upper Iowa posted a 19-31 record in 2015, with an 11-25 mark in NSIC play.
- Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) member Mansfield rolls into the Clearwater Invitational with a 5-2 record, with wins over then-No. 3 ranked Mercyhurst University, Post University, and Assumption College. The Lions and the Mountaineers last met on the diamond back in 2013 when Saint Leo split a twinbill with Mansfield. The Green and Gold dropped the first game, 3-1, but rallied with a 3-2 win in the nightcap.
- Catcher Mike Mann leads the Lions with a .513 average through 10 games (39 AB), and ranks second in the SSC, while his .524 on base percentage is also second-highest in the conference. Behind the plate, Mann has thrown out seven base runners – also second-highest figure in the league. OF Lane Stancil has amassed 22 hits this season, and ranks 13th in the SSC in that category. 2B/SS Derek Gibree continues to swing a hot bat as of late, and has reached base safely in each of the Lions’ last 13 games. He has batted .360 over the last six games, raising his season average to .328.
- All three of Saint Leo’s weekend starters of late have begun to climb in the SSC statistics. LHP Dylan Collett is currently eighth in the league with his 2.08 ERA, with RHP Zach Whitaker’s 2.28 ERA placing him 10th. Among strikeout leaders, Whitaker (21) and RHP Andrew Cohen (21) tied for 11th in the SSC.
- The Saint Leo women's lacrosse team will look to get its first win of the season as the Lions have their home opener on Friday, March 4, at 7:00 p.m. versus Gannon University at University Turf Stadium.
- The Lions are coming off two losses on their season-opening road trip, falling to Lenoir-Rhyne, 11-6, and Belmont Abbey, 9-6.
- Kaylah Walstad and Allie Sheftall are leading the Green and Gold with three goals each.
- The freshman goalkeeper, Rebecca Halley has recorded 13 saves in the two games for the Lions.
- Gannon is currently 1-1 on their season, recording a 12-9 win against Young Harris, and picked up a loss to SSC member Florida Southern, 13-4.
- Gannon is lead by Tessa Mitchell, who has six goals and is averaging 75.0% on shots on goal.
- Saint Leo has defeated Gannon in both previous matches at University Turf Stadium, once in both 2015 and 2014.
Saturday, March 5
vs. Armstrong State | 1 PM
Where: Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
- The No. 3 Saint Leo women’s tennis team host the reigning National Champion and current No. 1 team in the nation in Armstrong State on Saturday afternoon at 1 P.M. in a nonconference match up. The No. 7 Saint Leo men’s team will also host Armstrong State, the current No.3 team on the men’s side.
- The Lions are 3-0 on the men’s side, taking down Georgia College, Valdosta State, and Flagler, while the women are 2-1, taking down Georgia College, VSU, before falling to Flagler the last time out.
- On the men’s side, Freshman Alberto Barroso-Campos and sophomore Elliot Carnello both are undefeated in singles action. Barroso-Campos is 3-0 at the No. 1 singles spot, while Carnello is 2-0 at the No. 5 slot.
- On the women’s side, the Lions are 15-3 in singles matches. Freshman Natalia Siedliska is 3-0 at the No. 1 spot, while Isabella Robbiani is 3-0 at the No. 3 spot.
- Armstrong State is 4-0 on the men’s side taking down Lynn, Palm Beach Atlantic, Nichols State, and Georgia College. The women are 6-0 after taking down Nova Southeastern, Lynn, PBA, North Georgia, Jacksonville State, Nicholls State, and Georgia College.
- Following Saturday’s match, the Lions will head to Eckerd at 11 AM Sunday for their first SSC match-up of the season. Eckerd’s men’s team is 3-0 following wins over Southeastern University, Ave Maria, and John Carroll. The women are 1-2 with their lone win coming over Ave Maria.
- The Saint Leo men’s lacrosse team returns home to host No. 13 Pfeiffer on Saturday at 1 PM.
- The Lions hit the road in their last outing to take on Shorter, topping the host school 17-7. Saint Leo was led by senior Dylan Yonts who scored six goals in the game.
- Senior Will Cothron earn his first ever Specialist of Week award from the SSC after winning 19 of 25 face-offs. Cothron also picked up a team-high 10 ground balls against Shorter.
- Saint Leo has scored 30 goals so far this season, 12 coming from Yonts and eight coming from Sophomore Jake Gilmour. Gilmour leads the team in points with 15.
- Pfeiffer enters down the match-up with a 4-0 record after taking down Brevard, Mars Hill, Queens (N.C.), and Coker.
- Their leading scorer is Cole Sheen who has 15 goals on the season.
Sunday, March 6
at Eckerd | 11 AM
Where: Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
Saint Leo baseball vs. Upper Iowa (3-0)
Where: Jack Russell Stadium – Clearwater, Fla.
When: Sunday, March 6 – 2:00 pm
Monday, March 7
Saint Leo women’s golf at Southern Miss. Lady Eagle Invitational
Where: Hattiesburg Country Club – Hattiesburg, Miss.
When: Monday, March 7 & Tuesday, March 8
- Saint Leo women’s golf heads to the Magnolia State to compete in the University of Southern Mississippi’s Lady Eagle Invitational. This mostly Division I tournament will be played at the par 72, 6111-yard Hattiesburg Country Club, which hosted the PGA Tour’s Magnolia Classic from 1968 to 1993.
- The Lions’ starting five for the Lady Eagle Invitational will be junior Marie Coors, sophomore Amanda Jakobsson, sophomore Vilde Eriksen, senior Kellianne May, and junior Sabrina Rumbaugh.
- The Lions are coming off an eighth place finish out of 18 teams at the Florida Southern Lady Moc Classic. Junior Marie Coors was the Lions’ top individual at the 54-hole Lady Moc event, firing a 12-over 228 over the three-round tournament to finish tied for 11th overall. She was 11 strokes off the pace set by medalist Jenny Ayala (Lynn), with a one-over 217.
Saint Leo baseball vs. Mansfield (5-2)
Where: Jack Russell Stadium – Clearwater, Fla.
When: Monday, March 7 – 6:00 pm
Tuesday, March 8
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo Department of Athletics, be sure to visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.