Saturday, Feb. 13
- The Lions look to open their home portion of their schedule in a double-header with Colorado Christian University at 12 PM ant 2 PM on Saturday.
- Saint Leo comes into the game with a 4-0 record after taking down nationally ranked opponents #3 Shorter (6-2) and #14 Florida Tech (15-0) over the weekend at the Eckerd Spring Invitational.
- The Lions opened their season with a 4-2 win over Chadron State in eight innings before defeating No. 3 Shorter 6-2 on Friday night of the opening weekend of the season. On the final day of the tournament, Saint Leo defeated Ursuline 4-0 on Sunday morning before taking down No. 14 Fla. Tech 15-0.
- Pitcher Stephanie Adkins picked up two wins on the weekend as she was the winning pitcher against both No. 3 Shorter and No. 14 Fla. Tech. Adkins has a 0.50 ERA to start the season. She fanned 20 batters with three walks. She was named Sunshine State Conference Pitcher of the Week.
- Alana Tabel pitched the first game and the win vs. Chadron State as Samantha Tyler was the winning pitcher against Ursuline. Tabel struck out eight batters in her appearance as Tyler sat down 10 via the K. After her win, Tabel has a 0.88 ERA as Tyler has a 0.00 ERA with giving up just three hits and no runs vs Ursuline.
- Freshman Brooke Samios-Uy led the offensive charge this weekend hitting .538 from the plate on a 7-for-13 performance over the weekend. Samios-Uy collected one triple and home run on Sunday morning with 12 total bases. With her slugging percentage of .923, Samios-Uy did not strikeout in any of her plate appearances. She was named Sunshine State Conference Player of the Week.
- Colorado Christian enters the game at 1-5 with a double-header on Friday, Feb. 12thagainst Florida Southern before coming to University Softball Stadium on Saturday.
- The Cougars are led by Hanna Farmer who recorded 10 hits in 23 at bats in their first six games of the season with five strikeouts and one walk for 11 total bases. Farmer is hitting .435 from the dish.
- Leading the Cougars from the circle is Tana Feiner at 1-2 with a 3.48 ERA and 15 strikeouts.
- The Saint Leo Lions were picked to finish fifth in the Sunshine State Conference, but garnish a No. 24 national ranking according to the RPI.
- The Lions return a veteran offense this season, but also sprinkle in young, fresh talent that will look to make an immediate impact on the field. Offensively, senior Dylan Yonts, who led the Lions with 38 goals, and 10 assists in 2015, leads the way. The 6-foot attackman was a First Team All-SSC Selection in 2015 as well. Saint Leo also returns a seasoned keeper inDave Moore, who will look to leave his name in Saint Leo's record books this season.
- While Saint Leo men's lacrosse fans are familiar with the names like Moore, Yonts, and Cothron; the names of Chad Marino and Matt Weller should soon be on the tongue. Marino was a Second Team All-SSC selection in 2015, scoring 16 goals and adding eight assists. He scored a career-high five goals against No. 9 Tampa, joining Yonts as the only Lion to do so. Weller finished 2015 with 15 points, 14 goals and one assist out of the midfield. His 14 goals was fourth on the team.
- Emmanuel is 0-1 to start the season after a 12-4 loss to Lincoln Memorial out of Tennessee. Freshman Craig Marentette score two of the four goals.
- Saint Leo looks to return off a week long break against Embry-Riddle, in non-conference action on Saturday evening. In their last outing the Lions fell 67-58 to Lynn.
- Offensively, the Lions are led by Chelsy Springs, who is averaging a team-best 18 points a game and 8.0 rebounds. Both of those statistics lead the Sunshine State Conference as well.
- Springs is aided offensively by Mary Redmond who follows with 9.1 points per game, and has hit 44 three pointers this season.
- When these two teams faced in Saint Leo, Fla., the Eagles got the better hand, 68-50. Springs hit her average in that game with 18 points, while Redmond and Izabell Skoogh had 10.
- Sabrina Whiting is averaging 15.1 points for ERAU, while grabbing 3.9 rebounds. Mercades Jorge is averaging a near double-double at 9.8 points and 8.6 rebounds.
- Saint Leo enters the game with a 15-8 overall record and 8-5 SSC record which places them fourth in the conference. In the previous meeting between the two teams, the Lions were victorious 99-92 on January 13th. Marcus Dewberry scored 33 points to lead Saint Leo as five other Lions’ scored in double-figures. Tryeece Brice and Caleb Stewart each had 15 points, while Trail Pierce, Trey Griseck and Austin Pickett all 10 points apiece.
- Last time out saw the Lions come from behind and outlast the Lynn Fighting Knights in overtime 93-90 in the Bowman Center. Saint Leo was led by Tryeece Brice who scored 21 points in the victory. Marcus Dewberry chipped in 17 second half points. Caleb Stewart had 15 points and Carter Belling had 10 points on the night.
- Embry-Riddle enters the game at 12-9 overall and dropped their most recent game at Eckerd 60-52. The Eagles were led by Dillion Graham who scored 17 points and Ognjen Miljkovic who had 12.
- ERAU is led by Miljkovic on the season in scoring as he averages 17.2 points per game. The Eagles have five other players who average double-figures on the year. Dalton Barnes (14.7 ppg), Reed Riddler (13.2 ppg), Dillion Graham (10.9 ppg), Daniel Kiesling (10.2 ppg) and Joseph Gonzalez (10.0 ppg).
Sunday, Feb. 14
vs. Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and ASA College Miami |9 AM & 12 PM
Where: Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
- The Saint Leo tennis teams will face two junior college teams in their home opener on Sunday. On the men's side, they will also face the ITA Junior College No. 1 team and reigning Junior College National Champion in ASA Miami, and ITA Junior College No. 12 Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College. On the women's side, they will face ABCA is nationally ranked No. 12 at the junior college level, while ASA Miami holds the down the No. 1 spot in all of junior college.
- The Lions are 2-0 on both the men's and women's side following wins over Georgia College and Valdosta State last weekend. The men topped No. 12 GC, 5-4, and No. 9 VSU, 6-3. The women topped No. 13 GC, 7-2, and No. 21 VSU, 8-1.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Saint Leo Department of Athletics, be sure to visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.