Feb 02, 2016
Wednesday, Feb. 3
- Saint Leo hits the road to take on Barry for the second time this season. The two teams matched up back in December, with the Bucs taking the game 64-49 in the Marion Bowman Center.
- The Lions are coming off a close lost to No. 24 Florida Southern, where they saw Chelsy Springs drop a career-high 28 points in a 67-53 loss.
- Springs leads the conference in points per game (17.6), rebounds (8.4), and double-doubles (7).
- Saint Leo ranks third in the conference in total rebounds, at 754, while also falling in third for offensive rebounds per game at 14. Their 14 offensive boards a game also falls in at No. 85 nationally.
- Offensively, Barry is led by Amra Elezovic, who is averaging 15.7 points per game. SHe also gabs a team-high 6.0 rebounds a game. Ines Kerin follows at 12.2 points per game, and Jackie Perez adds 10.4 points.
- As a team, Barry shoots 41.5-percent from the floor, while holding their opponents to 37.2-percent.
- The Saint Leo men’s basketball team travels to Miami Shores on Wednesday to take on #24/15 Barry University in an SSC matchup. Barry comes into the game with an 15-3 record and 8-2 in the conference, winning their last three games with most recent at Lynn 94-83. In the meeting in December, the Buccaneers won 87-85 in Saint Leo. The Lions erased a 19 point deficit with under six minutes remaining outscoring Barry 22-5 down the stretch. Lawrence Watt registered his first career double-double as he had 16 points and 11 rebounds.
- Saint Leo came off their third road win at Florida Southern on Saturday, January 30th as they were victorious 89-86 after trailing for most of the second half. The Lions saw Caleb Stewart record his first career double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds. Saint Leo was paced by Marcus Dewberry who scored a career high 35 points, with 25 of those coming in the second half to charge the comeback for the Lions.
- Saint Leo is on a two game win streak and have move to fourth in the conference with their 7-4 record after handing Eckerd their first conference loss this season last Wednesday. Barry sits in second in the conference and is currently on a three game win streak.
- The Lions lead the conference in both three point field goal percentage at 39.2-percent and three point field goal defense, holding their opponents to just 31.7-percent. Saint Leo will have another test this week as Barry shoots 39.1-percent from beyond the arc which is third in the conference and ranks second in three’s made a game at 10.8-per game.
- Barry leads the conference in scoring averaging 92.7 point per game and scoring margin at 12.4 points per game. Buccaneers’ Yunio Barrueta leads the SSC in scoring averaging 24.2 point per game and rebounds per game at 9.9. Adrian Gonzalez is atop the leader board in field goal percentage at 62.8-percent, as Anders Haas is leading free throw percentage with 90.5-percent on the season. Barry’s Elvar Fridriksson leads the conference in assists per game (8.2) and in the assist to turnover ratio (2.7).