Dec 04, 2015
- The Lions are coming off of a nine-point loss to No. 19 Florida Southern in SSC action. Saint Leo saw five different players reach double figures, led by Izabell Skoogh with 18. Chelsy Springs added 15, Mary Redmond chipped in 13, while Jone' Akins and Chachi Guzman added 11 and 10, respectively.
- Saint Leo shot 48.3-percent from the field against the Mocs, better than the season average 42.2-percent.
- The Lions are averaging 7.3 three-point field goals made, while limiting opponents to just 27.7-percent from behind the arch.
- Lynn is only attempting 14.5 three-point shots a game, while connecting on just 3.8.
- Tifani Kerrison is leading the Fighting Knights with 14.0 points per game on 58.3-percent shooting. The next closest is Charla Nelson-James at 9.3 points.
- Last season, the Lions went 2-0 versus the Fighting Knights, taking two close battles. The Lions won at home, 54-50, and then took the game in Boca Raton, 67-62.
- Saint Leo men’s basketball will be trying to establish itself in the top half of the Sunshine State Conference while Lynn University will be looking for its first SSC win when the two teams clash on Saturday afternoon in Boca Raton. The Lions are coming off a 91-89 win over defending national champion Florida Southern on Wednesday night at the Bowman Center, while the Fighting Knights dropped a 109-101 decision at Barry.
- The Lions dropped both meetings with Lynn last season, including a 70-67 loss on Feb. 14, 2015, in Boca Raton, the teams’ last meeting at the de Hoernle Center. Lynn has won three of the last four meetings with Saint Leo, but the Lions have triumphed in four of the last seven matchups.
- Junior Marcus Dewberry leads Saint Leo with 17.0 ppg, with 5.9 rpg and 4.75 apg. Dewberry is coming off his third 20-point effort of the season and sixth of his career; he netted exactly 20 points in Wednesday’s win over Florida Southern. Dewberry is currently eight among SSC scoring leaders.
- Sophomore Tyreece Brice scored a career-high 23 points versus Florida Southern on a 9-of-13 shooting effort from the floor with three three-pointers. Freshman Carter Belling also charted 20 points with nine assists.
- Lynn (3-3, 0-3 SSC) is paced by senior F Fred Landers with 22.0 ppg, with senior F David Johnson and senior G Ben Berry contributing 16.0 and 10.7 ppg respectively. The Fighting Knights are third in the league in scoring with 87.3 ppg, right ahead of Saint Leo with 85.4 ppg, but Lynn is eighth out of nine teams in the SSC in scoring defense and allow 83.5 ppg. The guard-oriented Fighting Knights present only three players on their roster 6-7 or taller, none of whom is a regular starter.