Nov 23, 2015
- Saint Leo will play host to the Warner Royals on Tuesday evening. Warner is 2-2 on the road this season.
- The Royals are led by Mariah Williams who is averaging 12.1 points per game. Corlissa Pope is grabbing a team-high six rebounds a game, while averaging 4.7 points per game.
- Warner played an exhibition game against fellow Sunshine State Conference foe Florida Tech. The Royal lost 80-51, but saw Kaley Schmick put up nine points and seven rebounds.
- Saint Leo is coming off of a tremendous showing, taking No. 4 Nova Southeastern to the brink in double overtime. The Sharks barely got the better end, taking the game 85-82. The Lions saw Chelsy Springs net 27 points and grab nine rebounds, while Chachi Guzman put up 26 and dished out 10 assists, and just missed the triple-double by grabbing eight rebounds.
- Springs is averaging 22.8 points per game on 57.6-percent shooting from the field. She is also averaging 10.3 rebounds per game. Guzman follows with 18.3 points per game and a team-high 6.5 assists per game.
- Saint Leo last hosted Warner in the 2012-13 season, taking the game, 92-43.
- Saint Leo hosts three straight games at the Bowman Center during the Thanksgiving Break period, starting with Tuesday night’s game against NAIA Division I-member Allen University. The Lions will host Tuskegee University on Friday evening in a South Region contest, followed by a visit from Peach Belt Conference member Clayton State on Sunday. Saint Leo enters the three-game slate with a 3-1 record, following a 93-88 win over Nova Southeastern on Saturday evening.
- Allen began the week with a 1-6 record, and was scheduled to face Columbia International (S.C.) on Monday night before making the trip to Florida. The Yellow Jackets’ lone win was a 71-66 victory over Barber-Scotia in their season opener on October 31.
- Sophomore Caleb Stewart is pacing the Lions offensively with 19.5 ppg while shooting .444 from the field, and has hauled down 6.8 rpg. Junior Marcus Dewberry is not far off Stewart’s scoring pace with 18.8 ppg, and he leads the team with 14 three-point field goals that has him ranked 36th in the nation. Tyreece Brice rounds out the list of Lions with double-digit scoring averages; the sophomore guard is averaging 11.8 ppg while shooting at a .484 clip from the floor. Both Dewberry and Brice have tallied nine steals this season, and have logged 17 (4.25 pg) and 15 (3.75 pg) assists respectively.
- Saint Leo is ranked 39th in Division II in three-point field goals made with 39, and the Lions’ 9.8 3FG per game is 45th in the nation. The Lions have also excelled this season in taking care of the ball; Saint Leo is averaging a mere 12.5 turnovers per game, and its +5.5 turnover margin is ranked 28th in Division II.
- Saint Leo held onto a spot in this week’s D2SIDA South Region Media Poll, checking in at number nine.
- The Tuskegee Golden Tigers head into the Thanksgiving break with a 3-1 record, and will host Montevallo on Tuesday night prior to making the trip to Saint Leo. Tuskegee knocked off Montevallo, 53-51, in a game played November 18 in Montevallo, Ala. James Eads paces the Golden Tigers with 14.0 ppg while shooting .478 from the floor; Camden Foster is contributing 12.8 ppg while grabbing 7.8 rebounds. Kevin May is the Golden Tigers’ premier set-up man, dishing out 4.3 assists per game.
- Clayton State has a 1-0 record at the start of the Thanksgiving break; the Lakers’ only contest to date was an 80-54 victory over Lane College on November 18, and they will face NCCAA-member Carver Bible College (Ga.) on November 25 prior to the game at Saint Leo. Saiquan Terry charted 16 points on 5-of-9 shooting in the Lane game, while Dantez Bennamon logged 15 points. Nathan Powell handed out eight assists, and Alfonso Davis grabbed seven rebounds.