Thursday, April 16
#5 Women's Tennis at #38 Rollins - 4 p.m.
- The Saint Leo women’s tennis team continues its slate of ranked SSC foes with a road matchup against No. 38 Rollins College on Thursday. Saint Leo is fresh off pair of sweeps against Florida Tech and Eckerd in its last two matchups, looking to build momentum into its final pair of regular season contests.
- The Lions are led by tandem Maria Benkirane and Isabella Robbiani, as the duo is ranked as the No. 8 doubles tandem in Division II. Robbiani is ranked as the No. 14 individual as per the latest release of ITA rankings.
- Saint Leo has depth beyond its top flights, as Marine Beugre-Guyot is 12-1 on the season and a perfect 10-0 as the third and fourth flight singles player.
- The Tars are led by Shannon Etten and Fabiana Vitanza who each have nine wins this season.
- In the last meeting between the two squads, Saint Leo came away with a 6-3 victory on April 9 of 2014.
Friday, April 17
Softball at Lynn - Series
Where: Lynn Softball Field, Boca Raton, Fla.
Record: SLU 33-12, 9-9 SSC | LYNN 20-19, 10-8 SSC
Website: SLU | LYNN
Game 1, Fri. April 17 at 3pm: Live Stats | Video
Game 2, Sat. April 18 at 1pm: Live Stats | Video
Game 3, Sat. April 18 at 3pm: Live Stats | Video
- The Saint Leo Softball team swept its previous series against Eckerd College, out-scoring the Tritons 25-4 over the three-game set. Seniors Angela Kafalas and Cassie Boggs led the charge, combining for 11 RBI and 10 hits for the weekend.
- Kafalas added a pair of home runs to her team-leading mark. The offensive player has nine this season to go along with 34 RBI.
- Adriana Sanders leads the team with a .477 batting average with 40 RBI while flashing some speed with 13 swiped bags. The third-baseman has 52 hits and 28 runs for the Lions.
- Centerfielder McKenzie Burns has 56 hits and 46 runs in her final season of play, leading the conference in stolen bases with 34. The senior is the program leader in stolen bases, notching 141 over her four years in Green and Gold.
- The Saint Leo pitching staff is fifth in the nation in team ERA with a combine 1.41 average. The staff is anchored by junior Alana Tabel, as the right-hander has a conference-best 1.05 ERA in 120 innings for a 14-5 record. Senior Ashley Ehlers his limited opponents to a meager .146 batting average and is fifth in the conference in both ERA (1.73) and strikeouts (136).
- Lynn is led by senior Christina Carvatta in batting average, hitting at a .381 clip. Sophomore Leanne Wright leads with 29 RBI with 14 extra-base hits on the season.
- Saint Leo swept the Fighting Knights a season ago, taking an 18-10 victory to open the set before sweeping the doubleheader the next day.
Baseball at Barry - Series
Where: Feinbloom Field, Miami Shores, Fla.
Record: SLU 29-10, 10-8 SSC | BARRY 17-22, 5-10 SSC
Website: SLU | BARRY
Game 1, Fri. April 17 at 6pm: Live Stats | Video
Game 2, Sat. April 18 at 3pm: Live Stats | Video
Game 3, Sat. April 18 at 4pm: Live Stats | Video
- Last time out, Saint Leo baseball took one out of three games from the Florida Southern Moccasins with a 9-8 victory in their Friday night match-up. Their record moved to 29-10 on the season and 10-8 in the Sunshine State conference.
- The Lions will be facing the Buccaneers of Barry University who currently sit at 17-22 on the year with a 5-10 conference record. The Bucs recently won two of a three game series against Eckerd in St. Petersburg, but then dropped a Tuesday night bout with the ranked Florida Tech Panthers 6-9.
- Senior Nick Perez boosted his average to .402 on the season after a series of multi-hit games against the Mocs. The lead-off man from Tampa has the top batting average on the team and is just shy of his .407 mark he finished with last season.
- Greg Brodzinski has played in and started all 39 games for Barry. He sports a .335 batting average and currently leads the team in RBI with 40.
- Junior Michael Dunnigan tied senior captain Liam O'Sullivan for team lead with seven wins after picking up a W last Friday night. Dunnigan maintains a 3.72 ERA in 58.0 innings pitched. Earning the save in that win was Tyrone Miller, his sixth of the season. Miller leads the team with 20 appearances in 2015.
- The top starting pitcher for the Bucs is Joeanthony Rivera with a 3-3 record this season in 12 appearance (seven starts) holding a 4.07 ERA. Jesse Montalto leads the team in appearances with 19, all out of the bullpen and has the team best 3.04 ERA.
Saturday, April 18
#5 Women's Tennis at #2 Barry - 11 a.m.
- The women’s tennis squad will close out the regular season in dramatic fashion, facing the No. 2 team in the nation in Barry University. The Buccaneers sit at a lofty 17-1 overall record, hosting the Lions in a makeup contest after a rain-shortened previous attempt.
- Pauline Helgesson sits 11-1 on the season in singles play and has a 4-0 record in doubles play when in tandem with Beugre-Guyot.
- In the previous meeting between the two squads, Saint Leo fell 5-0 in the 2014 Sunshine State Conference Championships.
Women's Lacrosse at #3 Lindenwood - 1 p.m.
- The Saint Leo women's lacrosse team travels to Missouri Saturday for a non conference match-up against no.3 Lindenwood University.
- The Lions are coming off their first shutout victory in program history. Saint Leo blanked Shorter Sunday, April 12th, 18-0. The closest the Lions had previously come to holding an opponent scoreless was a 17-1 win over Newberry during the program's inaugural 2012 season.
- Senior Joanna Chadwick notched three goals in the win. All three of Chadwick's goals came in the first half.
- The Lions average 10.50 goals per game and have held opponents to 9.34. Lindenwood averages 16.00 goals per game and has held opponents to 7.57 goals per game.
- Abbie Ross is the team leader in both goals and points, totaling 28 and 30, respectively. Kelsey Burns is second with 23 goals through 14 games this season.
Men's Lacrosse at Lynn - 7 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men's lacrosse team (7-6, 1-3 SSC) will play in its final regular season game Saturday in a Sunshine State Conference tilt at Lynn. In a must win game for the Lions, the first face-off is slated for 7:00 pm.
- Four teams will make the SSC Tournament April 24 & 26, and Saint Leo must win to advance to the postseason. If the Lions defeat the Knights, Saint Leo will be the No. 4 seed in the Tournament and will face either Tampa or Florida Tech, which also play Saturday.
- In their first SSC win, the Lions defeated Rollins 12-9. Dylan Yonts led the Lions offensive effort and finished with six points (3 goals, 3 assists) for his seventh hat trick of the season, and his first since March 24 against Adams State. Chad Marino (2 goals, 2 assists) and Jake Gilmour (3 goals, 1 assist) each added four points.
- Dave Moore averages 12.23 saves per game, which ranks him tenth in Division II, and his save percentage of .582 ranks seventh. Moore has turned in nine double-digit save performances including two 17-save games.
- Lynn (7-6, 1-3 SSC) is currently n a four-game losing streak. The Knights lost to No. 10 Tampa 12-6 in their last outing. The Knights are led by Anthony Rainone, who averages 2.75 goals per game.