Monday, March 2
Women's Golf at the Lady Pirate Invitational - All Day
- Saint Leo women’s golf opens March with an appearance at the Armstrong State Lady Pirate Invitational on Monday, March 2, and Tuesday, March 3, in Savannah, Ga. The Lions will be playing at Savannah Quarters Country Club in Pooler, Ga., with 18 holes on Monday followed by a second 18 on Tuesday.
- The 17-team field features eight ranked Division II teams, including 14th-ranked Saint Leo. Top-ranked Flagler leads the field that includes four of the top five programs in Division II: No. 2 Lynn, No. 3 Florida Tech, and No. 5 Nova Southeastern. Other ranked teams competing at the Lady Pirate Invitational are No. 8 West Florida, No. 16 Florida Southern, and No. 18 Armstrong State. Rounding out the field are West Georgia, UNC Pembroke, Newberry, Lander, Carson-Newman, North Georgia, Mount Olive, Coker, and Columbus State.
- Competing for the Lions will be sophomore Marie Coors, senior Clare Connelly, junior Kellianne May, and freshmen Vilde Eriksen and Amanda Jakobsson. Coors paces the Lions with a 76.50 stroke average this season, coming off a performance at the Florida Southern Lady Moc Classic in which she finished tied for 28th with a 234 over 54 holes. Eriksen is averaging 77.00 strokes over 13 rounds, with Connolly close behind with a 77.50 average. Newcomer Jakobsson has averaged 77.80 over her five rounds since joining the program this spring.
Tuesday, March 3
Men's Tennis vs. Concordia (N.Y.) - 2:30 p.m.
- The No. 8 men’s tennis squad enters the contest after defeating the No. 2 NAIA program, Embry-Riddle by a 7-2 match score.Â Bruno Sisti and Alex Theiler outdueled the No. 1 NAIA doubles tandem of Deni Zmak and Jaime Sanchez-Canama by an 8-6 score.
- Sisti also battled to a sweep in singles play, ousting Fabian Zierleyn by 7-6(8-6) and 6-3 set scores.Â Jacobo Gonzalez-Tarrio improved to a perfect 6-0 on the season, besting Rodolfo Arreygue in a single set (8-6).
- The match will be the second for Concordia, as the team battles Rollins on Monday, March 2. The Clippers enter the season as the No. 4 ranked program as per the ITA Feb. 25 rankings release.
- In the individual rankings, the Clippers have Manuel Righi and Juuso Ojanen at No. 4 and No. 5, respectively, while Rafael Ferreira and Benas Majauskas sit at No. 31 and No. 35 in the ITA preseason rankings. For doubles, the duo of Majauskas and Lorenzo Montegiorgi are tabbed as the No. 3 tandem in Division II.
Baseball vs. Saint Anselm - 6:00 p.m.
- The Saint Leo baseball team is a game removed from a 4-3 win over NCAA Division I Nebraska-Omaha on Thursday, Feb. 26th. Senior Tyrone Miller pitched three shutout innings in relief to pick up his third save of the season. The right-hander limited the Mavericks to one hit while striking out four.
- Second-baseman Alex Mata hit 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI while centerfielder Cole Stancil notched three hits while scoring a run for the Lions offense.
- Sophomore Troy Sieber has led the Green and Gold offense this season, launching a team-best seven home runs while scoring 29 RBI, another team-leading mark.
- The Saint Leo pitching staff is anchored by senior Liam O’Sullivan as the right-hander is sporting a pristine 1.50 ERA through 36 innings. The starting pitcher owns a 5-0 record with 38 strikeouts.
- Saint Anselm is off to a rocky start, as the Hawks enter the contest with a 0-5 record. The team took a 3-2 loss to SSC foe Rollins College on Sunday, March 1st. Starting pitcher Tom Hudon (0-2) tossed eight innings in the loss, allowing three runs off seven hits. The junior struck out seven batters and issued a pair of walks on the outing.
- The Hawks are led offensively by junior Ken Morrisino, as the outfielder has six hits through five games to begin the season.
Wednesday, March 4
Men's Lacrosse vs. Mount Olive - 4:00 p.m.
- The men’s lacrosse team suffered its first loss of the season at the hands of No. 2 LIU-Post on Friday, Feb. 27. The Pioneers took the neutral site contest by a 15-6 final score. Freshman Jake Gilmour scored three goals in as many chances to lead the Lions in scoring.
- Junior Dylan Yonts leads the team in scoring, netting seven goals for the Green and Gold. The attackman is shooting .438 through two games this season.
- Goalie Dave Moore has 24 saves and is sporting a 1-1 record to start the season. The junior has a 50% save mark in his two games of action.
- Mount Olive begins the season 3-0 after convincing wins over Catawba, Mercyhurst and Wingate. In the Trojan’s most recent victory, Mount Olive defeated Wingate 12-7. Brett Kingston scored five goals in as many chances to shoot a perfect 100% on the game.
- Sophomore Kingston leads the Trojans this season with 13 goals and two assists, converting a torrid 81.3% of shots.
- In the last meeting between the two teams, Mount Olive edged the Lions by a 10-9 score in overtime.
Women's Lacrosse vs. Gannon - 7:00 p.m.
- The Saint Leo women’s lacrosse team took a 9-8 double-overtime loss in its last outing. Midfielder Christina Minneci netted the hat-trick for the Lions, shooting 3-for-5 on the day. Alix Murray chipped in two goals as the Green and Gold fell in overtime.
- Minneci leads the team in scoring with five goals while adding two assists this season. The senior has 10 groundballs and five draw controls as a rounded contributor for the Lions.
- Gannon fell 18-7 to the Golden Knights on March 1st to begin the season 0-1. Midfielders Kierstyn Haight and Ashley Mozingo scored two goals each while Tessa Mitchell picked up a goal and three assists.
- In the last meeting between the two teams, Saint Leo battled to a 10-6 win over the Golden Knights on March 2nd, 2014. Allie Sheftall and Kelsey Burns each scored two goals on the outing.