Monday, March 16
Men's Golf at Bobcat Invitational - All Day
- Saint Leo men's golf will head to the Bobcat Invitational beginning March 16. The tournament will be played at the par-70, 6,730-yard Golf Club at Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee.
- The Lions are coming off a tournament win at the Southeastern Collegiate Tournament at the Kinderlou Forest Golf Club. The same team of five will make the trip to Eatonton, Ga. Liam Ainsworth, Joey Savoie, Ryan Gendron, Erick Alonso, and Trevor Joseph will look to repeat last weeks performance with a big win over top regional teams.
- The field will feature some of the best Division II teams in the southeast, including 10 top-25 teams and five in top-10 in the latest Golfstat Head-to-Head ranking. The tournament will also feature six Peach Belt Conference (PBC) teams.
- The top team playing in the Bobcat Invitational, according to GolfStat Head-to-Head ranking, is No. 1 Nova Southwestern University. The field will have three more top-five teams with No. 2 Barry University, No. 4 USC Aiken, and No. 5 Lynn University. The strength of the field continues with No. 6 Saint Leo University, No. 10 Florida Southern College, No. 14 Columbus State University, No. 18 Georgia Southwestern State University, No. 20 University of West Florida and No. 22 University of North Alabama.
- The Bobcats Invitational will have three rounds, with the first two starting March 16 and the final 18 holes March 17.
Women's Golf at Lady Bucs Invitational - All Day
- The Saint Leo women's golf team travels to Miami Lakes, Fla. for the Lady Bucks Invitational hosted by Barry University. The Lions will play at the Par 72, 6,038 yards, Shula's Golf Club.
- Saint Leo returns to the course after a one week hiatus. The team's last time out, Saint Leo finished sixth at the Lady Pirate Golf Invitational in Pooler, Georgia. The Green and Gold were led by freshman Vilde Eriksen, who scored a 154 (+10) for the tournament and was in a five way tie for 27th place, after carding a 78 on Tuesday.
- Clare Connolly, Vilde Eriksen, Kellianne May, Marie Coors and Amanda Jakobsson will make the trip for the Lions five, and Lauren Petty will also compete as an individual.
- At last year's Lady Bucs Invitational, Saint Leo finished fourth behind SSC rivals Nova Southeastern, Rollins and Barry. Nova Southeastern won last year’s title, shooting a team three-round score of 904. Rollins was the runner-up a year ago and Barry shot the tournament low round of 292 in the second round. Rollins’ Hally Leadbetter was the individual champion last year, shooting 3-over 219.
Tennis vs. Georgia College (at West Florida) - 1 p.m.
- The Saint Leo tennis team is set to battle Georgia College on Monday after both squads defeated top-ranked JUCO program ASA College on Saturday. The Bobcats enter the contest ranked No. 20 for the men and No. 26 on the women’s side.
- The men defeated ASA by a 7-2 final score. Egor Panyushkin and Netanel Alcabas came back from a 6-1 deficit to their doubles matchup 9-8 after a tiebreaker.
- The women defeated ASA College by an 8-1 final tally, earning a clean sweep in singles play.
- Yannick Hass of the Bobcats is the lone Georgia College player represented in the ITA ranking, carrying the No. 22 standing.
Women's Lacrosse at Newberry - 4 p.m.
- The Saint Leo women's lacrosse team enters Monday nights contest against Newberry on a three-game win streak.
- Saint Leo went 3-0 last week including two wins over nationally ranked #20 Bloomsburg and #19 Belmont Abbey.
- In the Lions win over Abbey, Christina Minneci led Saint Leo with four points (2 goals, 2 assists), and Abbie Ross and Allie Sheftall each contributed two goals.
- Sheftall turned in a fantastic week, leading the Lions on a 3-0 win streak. The Texas native turned in 1.67 shots, 0.67 assists and 2.33 points per game. She shot an insane 100% shots on goal percentage, with an overall .833 shot percentage.
- Brittany Millsap held steady between the posts, and made big save after big save to allow the Lions to jump to a 3-0 record last week. Milsap averaged 9.00 saves per game, and only allowed 8.80 goals per game. In the first game of the week, the senior made 10 saves in 30 minutes of action. Milsap earned two wins for her effort, and now has a season save percentage of .505.
- Monday's game will be the third played between the Lions and the Wolves. Saint Leo is 2-0 against Newberry and in their last meeting, the Lions downed Newberry 9-8 on the road in 2013.
- The Wolves are averaging 6.67 goals per game and are led by Jessica Baxtrom with 16 points (14 goals, 2 assists) this season.
Wednesday, March 18
Tennis at West Florida - 1 p.m.
- The West Florida men’s team holds the top-rank in Division II, with No. 7 Alex Peyrot leading a strong roster. The Argos also have No. 30 Kenny Brasil with a No. 10 doubles tandem of Peyrot and Kuhn. The women hold the No. 7 overall rank.
- Maria Benkirane is 8-1 on the season in singles play while two-time Sunshine State Conference Women’s Tennis Athlete of the Week, Isabella Robbiani, is 8-3.
- Gabrielle Paul is a pristine 5-0 on the season when playing solo and 4-0 in tandem with Robbiani.
- The Saint Leo women’s team picked up a 6-3 win over West Florida a season ago while the men’s squad fell 6-3 to the eventual national champion Argos.
Men's Lacrosse vs. Pfeiffer - 3 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men's lacrosse team takes a break from Sunshine State Conference action for a two-game road swing over spring break. Saint Leo will travel to Pfeiffer Wednesday, March 18 for a 3:00 game.
- The Lions are looking to bounce back from a home loss to Florida Tech Saturday. Saint Leo dropped a 13-11 decision, despite a huge comeback in the final period. Saint Leo outscored the Panthers 5-2.
- In Saint Leo's last outing Dylan Yonts led the Green and Gold with five points (3 goals, 2 assists), while freshman Jake Gilmour and sophomore Josh Kaufling each added two points. Gilmour turned in one goal and one assist, his fourth consecutive game with at least one goal and one assist. Kaufling scored a career high two goals in the third and fourth periods.
- Wednesday's match-up marks the sixth meeting between the Lions and the Falcons. The series is tied at 3-3, but Saint Leo is 0-2 on the road at Pfeiffer.
- Pfeiffer is 5-2 in 2015, and has outscored opponents 111-67 this season. The Falcons are 20-for-30 on man-up goal opportunities, and have held opponents to 17-for-45.
Women's Lacrosse at #5 Limestone - 3:30 p.m.
- Women's lacrosse will wrap up its spring break road trip Wednesday at no. 5 Limestone College. The Saint just picked up their first loss of the season at no. 13 Rollins. The Tars upended Limestone 19-6, snapping the squads 27-game regular season win streak.
- Wednesday's game marks the pairs third meeting, and the Saints hold a 3-0 advantage. In their last meeting, Saint Leo lost on the road 18-8 in 2014.
- The Lions have scored 10+ goals on five different occasions this season and are 5-1 when scoring at least nine goals.
Softball at Palm Beach Atlantic (DH) - 5 p.m.
- The Saint Leo softball team is riding an eight-game win streak, sweeping four consecutive doubleheaders. The Lions began with a DH sweep of American International before concluding its March Invite with three days of twinbill sweeps.
- Senior Angela Kafalas swatted four home runs over the course of the week, driving in 12 RBI across the 10 games. The offensive player crossed the plate nine times while recording 12 hits and batting at a .429 clip for the week.
- The Green and Gold is led by senior Adriana Sanders, who is sporting a torrid .507 batting average with 29 RBI and 13 stolen bases.
- Right-handed pitcher Ashley Ehlers (9-4) earned five wins on the week, pitching 22.2 total innings. The senior allowed six hits and a single run while striking out 32 batters to improve her season ERA to 1.90.
- The Saint Leo pitching staff has a combined ERA of 1.53, with junior Alana Tabel (10-2 leading the pack with a miniscule 1.21 mark in 75.1 innings of work.
- PBA is led offensively by Victoria Gonzalez, as the offensive player has eight home runs and 38 RBI this season for the Sailfish.
- The Lions have met PBA three times this season, owning a 2-1 record against the Sailfish. PBA took the first meeting at the Eckerd College Tournament before sweeping the doubleheader meeting.
Thursday, March 19
Tennis vs. Midwestern State (at West Florida) - 9:30 a.m.
- Midwestern State enters the match ranked No. 15 on the men’s side while the women hold the No. 18 spot. The Lions close out their Pensacola, Fla. slate with a 9:30 a.m. matchup against the Mustangs.
- Jacobo Gonzalez-Tarrio was the first Lions to reach 10 wins, holding a 10-2 overall record in singles play to lead the Lions. Guillaume Vanelven is a close second, holding an 8-2 tally for the 2015 season.
- Doubles duo Bruno Sisti and Alex Theiler lead the Saint Leo duos, posting an 8-3 record while Alcabas and Panyushkin are second with an 8-4 margin.