Feb 09, 2015
Tuesday, February 10
Baseball at Florida Southern - 6:00 p.m.
- The Lions have outscored opponents 68-14 to begin the season, on route to a 6-0 record for the first six contests. Last time out, Saint Leo completed a series sweep of Salem International University.
- Florida Southern College is 3-2 on the year. All five games have been on the road. The Mocs opened their season with a sweep of Claflin in Orangeburg. Last time out Florida Southern dropped a doubleheader to 35th ranked West Florida.
- Saint Leo is batting .349 as a team, led by Nick Perez (.478), Cole Stancil (.435), and Alex Mata (.417). Stancil leads the team in RBI with 11, Perez leads the team in runs scored with 10, and the homerun leaders with 3 each are Troy Sieber and Bobby Twitty.
- The Mocs as a team are batting .310. Blake Swan leads the team with seven RBI, Chris Dennis has scored seven times, and Jhalan Jackson leads with two homeruns. Kyle Richards (.467), Swan (.412), and Jackson (.353) have the top 3 batting averages on the team.
- Senior captain Liam O’Sullivan leads the way for the Lions’ pitching staff. He posts a 1.12 ERA through 16 innings pitched with 18 strikeouts and two wins. Junior Michael Dunnigan also has two wins on the season, sporting an ERA of 1.5 through 12 innings pitched with 11 strikeouts.
- Florida Southern finished 14-10 in the SSC last season with an overall record of 35-19. In the five meetings between Florida Southern and Saint Leo, the Lions went 2-3.
Wednesday, February 11
Women's Basketball at Florida Southern - 5:30 p.m.
- Saint Leo women’s hoops enters the road contest after a 64-46 defeat at the hands of No. 14 Rollins College, Saturday. Freshman Mary Redmond led all players with 17 points in the contest while Kinnara Lewis added 13. Senior Melissa Jackson grabbed 10 rebounds and blocked two shots.
- Jackson leads the team in scoring, averaging 13.5 points per game. The post player manages 10.2 rebounds per game and has amassed 29 blocks through 21 games.
- Lewis has totaled 853 points in her career at Saint Leo, including 254 in her senior season. The guard is five points from breaking her single-season best of 259 with five games remaining in the season.
- Florida Southern is fresh off an upset win over No. 24 Nova Southeastern Saturday, taking the contest by a 78-63 final score. The Mocs were led by Jensen Blassage, as the guard scored 16 points for a team-best. Christen Strawbridge spun a double-double with 13 points and 10 assists.
- Sophomore Gianna Vastola averages 8.9 points per game to lead the Mocs while Strawbridge is second with 8.8 per contest.
- In the last meeting between the two squads, FSC edged Saint Leo 81-80 while playing in the Marion Bowman Activities Center. Junior Chachi Guzman netted 25 points while adding seven assists and six rebounds in her rounded effort.
Men's Basketball at No. 2 Florida Southern - 7:30 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men’s team ended a four game skid after defeating Rollins College 69-58, Saturday evening. Senior Ron Foxx totaled 15 points and grabbed 13 boards for a double-double. Three other Lions starters reached double-digit points as Trey Griseck, Marcus Dewberry and Edmunds Dukulis posted at least ten points.
- Foxx leads the team in scoring, averaging 15.7 points per game while senior guard Devin Crisosto posts 10.1 per contest. Crisosto has 232 points through 23 games this season, good for second on the team.
- The Lions continue to lead the division in free-throw percentage, converting 80.1% of trips to the line. Among the team’s top free-throw shooters are Dewberry and Foxx who post an 86.4% and 85.2% conversion rate, respectively.
- Florida Southern College handily defeated Nova Southeastern University in its last matchup, taking an 82-58 win. The senior eclipsed his career 2,000 point, posting 27 on the contest while adding nine rebounds and four assists.
- Capers averages 21.9 points per game through 22 contests. The Mocs as a team score 91 points on average as one of the nation’s best scoring offenses (No. 4).
- FSC took the first matchup of the season against Saint Leo by a 71-66 score. The Lions limited Capers to a meager eight points, however the Mocs snuck away with the win after scoring 36 bench points.