Friday, February 27
Men's Lacrosse vs. LIU-Post - 7:30 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men's lacrosse team will host the No. 2 LIU Post Pioneers in its first Wounded Warrior Game Friday at St. Augustine High School.
- The Lions (1-0) will battle the 2014 NCAA runner-up (2-0) in its first test against a ranked opponent of the season.
- After Saint Leo's 14-9 victory at Coker, junior Will Cothron was named Sunshine State Conference (SSC) Men's Lacrosse Defensive Player of the Week. Cothron, the reigning D2 Statistical Face-Off Champion, won 19-25 (.760) draws, and picked up a Saint Leo single-game record 16 ground balls.
- Cothron currently has a .760 face-off percentage and ranks fourth in NCAA DII National Rankings.
- Sophomore Nick Buckley has accumulated 4.00 caused turnovers and leads the SSC and NCAA in the category.
- Sophomore midfielder Dylan Yonts tallied a career-high seven points on seven goals in Saint Leo's season opener. The seven goals is one shy of Saint Leo's single game record (8 goals). Yonts scored four goals of his seven goals in man-up situations, a Saint Leo record. The sophomore had a shooting percentage of .538, and a .700 conversion rate in shots on goal. Yonts also added two ground balls, and caused one turnover. Yonts 13 shots aided Saint Leo to outshoot the Cobra's 42-29.
Saturday, February 28
Women's Basketball vs. Nova Southeastern (PINK out) - 2 p.m.
- Women’s basketball is set to conclude SSC play with a matchup against Nova Southeastern. The Lions dropped a Wednesday night matchup to Eckerd College on the road, falling by a 79-55 final score. Sophomore Aaliyah Ramirez tallied a career-high 17 points on the outing while Chachi Guzman grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds.
- Saint Leo will honor the efforts of its two seniors, guard Kinnara Lewis and forward Melissa Jackson. Lewis has 870 points across her four years as a Lion while Jackson has 445 in her two seasons donning the Green and Gold.
- Jackson leads the team in scoring, managing 13 points per contest. Lewis averages 10.8 points per game while Guzman scores 12.4 points per game.
- Nova Southeastern defeated No. 20 Florida Tech by a 78-73 final score in its last outing. Jasmine Wilkins and Danielle Robinson each posted 19 points while Alexis Murphy chipped in 16.
- In the last meeting between the two squads, NSU took a 69-55 home decision over the Lions.
Men's Basketball vs. Nova Southeastern - 4:00 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men’s basketball team picked up a crucial road win in its last contest, defeating Eckerd College 67-63 in comeback fashion. Senior Cale Girten shot 100% from three-point territory (7-for-7) and totaled 24 points to lead the Lions to victory. The forward shot 80% from the field and added four rebounds in the win.
- The Green and Gold were a perfect 18-for-18 from the charity stripe, proving why they lead the nation in free-throw percentage (80.3%). Marcus Dewberry led against the Tritons, draining all six trips to the line. The sophomore leads the team with an even 89% FT mark.
- NSU battled Palm Beach Atlantic to a 76-67 win Wednesday evening. Sharks’ Chris Page led the squad in scoring, adding 21 points for NSU. Maurice Fuller totaled 16 points and five boards for Nova Southeastern in the victory.
- In the previous matchup between the Lions and Sharks, Nova Southeastern outlasted Saint Leo 70-60 in the NSU Arena on January 28th. Girten posted 14 points for the Lions while Ron Foxx added 13.
Softball vs. Barry - Series
Where: University Softball Stadium, Saint Leo, Fla.
Record: SLU 13-2, 0-0 SSC | BU 12-5, 0-0 SSC
Website: SLU | BU
Game One - Saturday, Feb. 28 at 6pm: Live Stats
Game Two - Sunday, March 1 at 12pm: Live Stats | Video
Game Three - Sunday, March 1 at 2pm: Live Stats | Video
- Saint Leo softball completed the sweep of the SLU Sunshine Invite this past weekend, taking all five contests. Four of the matchups concluded early due to runs as the Lions dominated opposing pitching, outscoring the opposition 53-4. Sophomore Michelle George ignited the offense, hitting 12-for-18 with nine runs and 12 RBI while adding three triples on the weekend.
- George earned SSC Player of the week honors for her efforts leading the Lions to a five-win weekend.
- Senior Ashley Ehlers earned SSC Pitcher of the Week honors after tossing two five-inning, complete-game shutouts including a no-hitter against Stillman. The right-hander struck out 18 batters while surrendering two hits to pick up the pair of victories.
- Senior McKenzie Burns tore up the base-paths, stealing seven bases while hitting a torrid 10-for-13 and scoring 11 times for the Green and Gold. Adriana Sanders added nine hits and nine RBI while swiping a pair of bags to aid the Lion offense.
- Barry coasted to a doubleheader sweep of St. Thomas University (Fla.), taking the twin-bill behind a pair of 8-0 scores. Catcher Dee Espinosa hit 5-for-6 with three RBI to lead the Bucs while Kristina Pazienza and Taylor Sabol each tallied six-inning shutouts.
- In the 2014 season series between the two teams, Barry edged Saint Leo 2-1 on the three game set. The Bucs concluded the first game with a 9-8 win before splitting the doubleheader with a 6-2 Lions win and a 12-4 Barry victory.