Jan 06, 2015
Wednesday, January 7
Women's Basketball vs. Florida Southern - 5:30 p.m.
- The Lions dropped an 80-78 overtime loss to Florida Tech in their last matchup. Senior Melissa Jackson dominated the paint by posting a double-double with 26 points and a career-mark of 18 rebounds.
- The forward ranks 26th in the nation in rebounds per game, averaging 10.8 boards. Jackson leads the Sunshine State Conference in the same category and has five double-doubles through 11 contests, another conference best.
- The Lyon, France native is the leading scorer for the Green and Gold, averaging 15.7 points per game. Jackson has reached double-digits in points in all but one game this season.
- Fellow senior Kinnara Lewis is second on the team with 11.6 points per contest coming off a career-best 19 points against Florida Tech. Guard Monique Bunk follows with an average of 11.4 points per game as four players average at least 10 points through the season.
- FSC enters the contest earning its first conference victory over Barry University. The 70-67 win was paced by forward Gianna Vastola, who scored 14 points and picked up eight rebounds. Vastola averages 10.2 points per contest to lead the Mocs.
- For the 2013-14 season, Saint Leo defeated Florida Southern in both meetings as Chachi Guzman scored 15 points for the Lions in the most recent matchup.
Men's Basketball vs. No. 7/8 Florida Southern - 7:30 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on Saint Leo Athletics, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- The Lions are 5-1 over the past three seasons against the Mocs, who were ranked No. 1 in last week's D2SIDA Division II media poll, and No. 2 in the NABC Division II coaches poll (this week's polls were not yet available as of the time of the posting of this release). In the last meeting between the two teams, Saint Leo defeated Florida Southern 76-73 in overtime at FSC. Foxx totaled 19 points and 11 rebounds in the win while playing in 44 minutes of the contest.
- Saint Leo men’s hoops enters the matchup after defeating Florida Tech 69-64 this past Saturday. Senior Cale Girten paced the Lions with a career-high 21 points while shooting a torrid 78% from the field and a perfect 3-for-3 at the charity stripe. Fellow senior Ron Foxx spun a double-double effort with 15 points and 10 rebounds.
- Foxx leads the Green and Gold in scoring, managing 15.8 points per game in addition to 6.1 rebounds. Guard Marcus Dewberry is second in scoring with 10.6 points per contest as well as 4.1 assists and 3.2 boards on average.
- The Lions lead Division II in free throw percentage with an 80.7% success rate and is seventh in scoring defense with 60.2 points allowed per game.
- The Mocs are coming off a 107-102 upset loss to No. 11 Barry University in their first SSC contest. FSC’s Stephen Battle scored 29 points in the loss while Kevin Capers, the 2014 SSC Player of the Year, followed with 22. Dylan Travis provided 21 points off the bench as the Mocs were unable to defeat the Buccaneers to take their first loss of the season.
- In the national rankings, FSC is third in scoring offense with 96.8 points per game but 246th on defense, allowing 78.6 points on average. The Mocs limit turnovers as showcased by their second ranking with 9.9. Individually, Capers is ranked 15th among Division II leaders in both points per game (22.4) and total points (269). His 91 made free throws this season places him seventh among D-II leaders in that category.