Wednesday, January 28
Women's Basketball at Nova Southeastern - 5:30 p.m.
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team suffered a 69-66 setback against Palm Beach Atlantic University this past Saturday. The Lions trailed by 17 points at halftime before taking the lead with 33 seconds left in regulation. The Sailfish would hang on to the victory despite a strong offensive effort from Saint Leo.
- Senior Melissa Jackson posted her eighth double-double of the season against PBA, scoring 18 points and grabbing 17 rebounds. The forward owns a healthy lead in rebounds per game, ranking first in the Sunshine State Conference with 10.8 average. The Lyon, France native appears in the national rankings as the 25th-best rebounder in the country and 31st in double-doubles.
- Junior Chachi Guzman ranks fifth in assists per game, averaging 4.0 per contest. The guard is first on the team in free-throw percentage, converting 86% of trips to the line which sits third in the SSC.
- The Lions scoring effort is led by 14.9-point average from Jackson. The senior is complimented by guard tandem Guzman and Kinnara Lewis, as the duo post 12 points per game each.
- Nova Southeastern coasted to a 73-52 upset win over Florida Tech on Saturday. The Sharks balanced attack was led by Jasmine Wilkins as the guard totaled 17 points. Jessica Valley spun a double-double effort with 14 points and 10 boards.
- NSU is led by Danielle Robinson and Wilkins, as the tandem average 14.4 and 13.9 points, respectively.
- In the 2013-14 season, Nova Southeastern took both contests against the Lions. Saint Leo’s last victory against the Sharks came during the 2012-13 season when the Lions opened SSC play at home, taking the contest 73-69 to the basketball powerhouse.
Men's Basketball vs. Nova Southeastern - 7:30 p.m.
- The men’s squad is days removed from a 60-43 loss at the hands of Palm Beach Atlantic University. Forward Ron Foxx netted 14 points in the outing while Edmunds Dukulis totaled eight rebounds.
- Foxx is the team leader in scoring, averaging 15.9 points per game which ranks fifth in the SSC. Fellow senior Devin Crisosto is second on the team with a 9.8 showing through 19 contests.
- The Lions are first in the nation in free-throw percentage as team has been successful in 80% of attempts at the charity stripe.
- Defensively, the Lions are fifth in the nation, limiting opponents to 60.8 points per contest. Senior Cale Girten provides leadership on defense, as the team is first in the SSC in rebounding defense and second in 3FG percentage defense. The senior has 57 defensive boards and 19 steals on the season.
- The NSU men’s team was edged 77-74 by Florida Tech on Saturday, losing its third consecutive contest. Stian Berg scored a team-high 19 points in the loss, as the team was outrebounded 41 to 21.
- Sharks junior Chris Page leads the team on offense, posting 19.6 points per game. The guard manages 4.2 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 2.0 steals through 13 contests.
- Saint Leo split the 2013-14 season series against Nova Southeastern with both teams earning victories at home. In the most recent outing, Foxx turned a double-double behind 19 points and 13 rebounds.
For the latest news, updates, and information on Saint Leo Athletics, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.