Wednesday, January 21
Women's Basketball vs. Eckerd - 5:30 p.m.
- The women’s basketball team is fresh off a Sunshine State Conference victory over Lynn University this past Saturday. The Lions won 54-50 behind a balanced offensive effort, led by senior Melissa Jackson. The forward charted her sixth double-double of the season, scoring 12 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.
- Guard Kinnara Lewis posted a familiar 12 points and notched eight boards while junior Chachi Guzman reached double-digits with 10 total points against the Fighting Knights.
- Jackson ranks 34th in Division II in rebounds per game, averaging 10.5 per contest from the post. The mark ranks first in the SSC, as the Lions’ leading scorer also tallies 14.9 points per game. The combination results in six double-doubles on the season which ranks 47th nationally and first in the conference.
- Guzman has been near-perfect from the free throw line, converting 25 of her 26 trips to the charity stripe.Â The junior leads the SSC with a 96.2 FT% through 11 games this season.
- The Tritons of Eckerd College enter the game after earning an upset victory over #10 Rollins College on Jan. 17th. The Tritons rode a dominating effort from Rana Thomas, as the senior posted 29 points and was a perfect 12-for-12 from the free throw line. Forward Trine Kasemagi spun a double-double in the win, amassing 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Thomas averages 17.3 points per game, ranking second in the SSC. The senior is 86.9% from the free throw line and leads the team in three-pointers with 27 made at a 35.1% average.
- The two squads split the series over the past five years, as they are 5-5 against one-another. Saint Leo took both contests of the 2013-14 season and the Lions are 3-2 at home vs. the Tritons over the same five-year span.
Men's Basketball vs. Eckerd - 7:30 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men’s basketball team meets Eckerd College after losing 62-55 to Lynn on Sunday afternoon. The Fighting Knights rallied late in the contest to take the Sunday matinee. Senior Ron Foxx scored 24 points, a career-high, to lead both teams. The forward was a pristine 10-for-10 at the free throw line and barely missed a double-double by grabbing nine boards.
- Junior Edmunds Dukulis totaled 11 each in points and rebounds for his first double-double of the season. The forward added a block and a steal in the outing.
- The Green and Gold offense is led by Foxx, as the Gainesville, Fla. native averages 16 points per game on the season, which ranks sixth in the SSC.
- Senior Devin Crisosto has a team-best 61 assists and 23 steals this season. The guard scores 9.4 points per game and 3.1 rebounds per contest.
- The Lions are top-5 in the nation in scoring defense, limiting opponents to 60.7 points per game good for fourth in Division II. That mark features contests against three nationally ranked opponents, including the fifth-ranked scoring offense Florida Southern.
- The Green and Gold lead Division II in free throw percentage with an 80.5% showing. Four Lions sit above that mark, as Marcus Dewberry and Foxx lead with 87.5% and 85.3%, respectively.
- The Eckerd men’s squad will battle the Lions after defeating Rollins College in overtime on Saturday. Junior Jerrick Stevenson hit the game-winner in OT to take the SSC contest. The guard totaled 17 points and grabbed five boards as four of the Triton’s starters reached double-digits.
- Saint Leo swept the two meetings in the 2013-14 campaign against Eckerd. Since head coach Lance Randall has taken over the program, the Lions are an even 3-3 over the past three seasons.
For the latest news, updates, and information on Saint Leo Athletics, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.