Jan 13, 2015
Wednesday, January 14
Women's Basketball at Tampa - 5:30 p.m.
- The women’s basketball squad will travel to Tampa after dropping its Saturday contest against the No. 10 ranked Rollins College Tars. The Lions were unable to build momentum against the top-10 team, falling by a 70-47 final tally.
- Senior Melissa Jackson continues her reign as the leading scorer for the Green and Gold, totaling 12 points in the contest with nine rebounds.Â The forward averages 14.9 points be game and 10.8 rebounds per contest, the latter being a Sunshine State Conference best. The Lyon, France native also leads the SSC in blocks per game with a 1.8 mark. In the national rankings, Jackson is 30th in rebounds per game.
- Junior Chachi Guzman posts 12 point per contest as the guard has converted all of her free throw attempts for a perfect 21-for-21 in her nine games of action. The Miami, Fla. native eclipsed 100 points after scoring nine against Rollins on Saturday.
- Senior Kinnara Lewis has scored 149 points this season, bringing her career total to 748 in her four years with the Lions. The guard averages 11.5 points, 2.6 boards and 2.3 assists per game through 13 contests.
- The Spartans host the midweek contest after losing its last matchup to No. 23 Florida Tech. The Panthers bounced then-No. 21 UT by a 62-57 score in regulation. Guard Ellen Nurmi led the attack with 16 points while fellow guard Juliana Cavallaro tallied 11. Angela Alvarez posted a double-double off the bench, scoring 10 points and grabbing 11 rebounds.
- Tampa is led by Cavallaro, as the two-time SSC Player of the Week averages 14.7 points per game and has 191 this season. The junior manages 5.9 rebounds per game in her rounded attack.
- Since 2012, the Lions are 2-4 against the Spartans. Saint Leo fell to Tampa 80-74 in the Sunshine State Conference semifinals in the last meeting between the two teams. Then-sophomore Guzman unloaded a 35-point barrage for a career-high.
Men's Basketball at Tampa - 7:30 p.m.
- The Saint Leo men’s squad is fresh off a 57-54 overtime win at Rollins College on Saturday. Forward Edmunds Dukulis netted 16 points for the Lions in addition to four rebounds and a block. Senior Cale Girten scored 11 points, including three scores from beyond the arc.
- Forward Ron Foxx has 226 points through 15 games, bringing his career total to 560 in his two seasons with the Lions. The senior has 87 rebounds this year while Dukulis follows with 78 boards.
- Sophomore Marcus Dewberry is second in scoring, with 10.1 points per game to go along with 4.1 assists and 3.8 rebounds on average. Fellow guard Devin Crisosto has an even 10 points per contest with 3.8 assists dished out on average.
- The Lions rank first in the Division II in free throw percentage, converting 80.8% of their trips to the charity stripe. Saint Leo is ranked sixth nationally in scoring defense, limiting opponents to 60.5 points per game.
- Tampa will meet the Green and Gold after taking an 85-66 road win over Florida Tech on Saturday. Guard Austin Rettig notched a career-high 31 points in a double-double effort against the Panthers. The junior added 10 rebounds and three assists in the breakout game.
- The Spartan offense is led by forward Eugene McCrory’s 18.2 points per game. McCrory has 130 rebounds for an even 10 per game. Guard Jordan Davis is second with 15.3 points per game and has 90 assists and 89 rebounds this season. The senior has a team-leading 22 steals for his rounded 2014-15 campaign.
- During the 2013-14 season, the two teams split the regular season matchups with the Spartans taking a 59-57 win at their home Martinez Center while the Lions won 57-51 at the Bowman Center.