Thursday, March 5
Women's Basketball vs. #24 Nova Southeastern - 12 p.m.
- The women’s basketball team enters the 2015 Sunshine State Conference Tournament as the No. 8 seed, facing the top-seeded Nova Southeastern University Sharks in the quarterfinal matchup.
- Saint Leo will meet Nova Southeastern for the third time this season for a David-and-Goliath matchup to kick off the tournament. The Sharks own a 1-9 record against the Lions in the past 10 meetings, with the Green and Gold’s most recent win coming in the 2012-13 season.
- In the most recent matchup, the Lions quietly led the match through 30 minutes of play before NSU fought for the lead. The Sharks concluded with a 65-61 win over the Lions.
- Sophomore Aaliyah Ramirez led the charge, scoring 15 points for Saint Leo. Over the past two games, Ramirez has been on a tear, scoring 32 points, including a career-high 17 points against Eckerd on Feb. 25th.
- Senior Melissa Jackson enters the conference tournament as the SSC leader in double-doubles, spinning nine through the 2014-15 season.
- NSU holds the No. 1 seed in the tournament and is ranked No. 24 in the nation in the latest USA Today’s Coaches Poll. The Sharks are led by forward Jasmine Wilkins as the red-shirt senior averages 14.6 points per game along with 6.2 boards per contest.
Friday, March 6
Men's Basketball vs. #14 Barry - 5 p.m.
- The men’s basketball team enters the 2015 Sunshine State Conference Tournament as the No. 7 seed, facing the No. 2-seeded Barry University Buccaneers in the quarterfinal matchup. The Lions defeated Nova Southeastern University by 73-59 victory behind 17 points from Ron Foxx.
- Saint Leo will meet Barry for the third time this season as the third quarterfinal matchup of the day. Head coach Lance Randall is 6-2 when facing the Bucs, sweeping his first three seasons against Barry.
- In the most recent matchup, the Lions fell 78-58 hosting the Buccaneers on January 31. Senior Devin Crisosto netted a career-high 21 points while Cale Girten posted 15.
- Senior Foxx leads the Lions in scoring, as the forward averages 15.1 points per game through 28 starts this season. The Gainesville, Fla. native averages another team-best in rebounds, posting 6.0 per contest.
- Barry is led by Yunio Barrueta as the guard averages 18.8 points per game along with 9.3 rebounds. The No. 9 ranked team fell 73-68 to the Tampa Spartans to close out the season, as UT pulled off the upset to earn the No. 3 seed in the tournament.
Single session tickets for the 2015 SSC Men's Basketball Championship are $10 per person. Admission is free for all Saint Leo students with a valid I.D., as well as children under six years of age.
For more information about the 2015 SSC tournament, please visit the SSC website at www.sunshinestateconference.com
For the latest news, updates, and information on Saint Leo Athletics, visit SaintLeoLions.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest Lions news by following Saint Leo Athletics on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.