Nov 29, 2016
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball takes on provision Sunshine State Conference member Embry-Riddle on Wednesday evening and follows it by hosting SSC for Barry on Saturday. The Lions enter the match-up with a 2-2 record, while the Eagles head across from Daytona with a 4-2 record. Barry currently has a 2-3 record.
- Saint Leo is now 2-0 in the Marion Bowman Activities Center this season, taking down Shorter, 72-64, and NAIA member Florida Memorial, 81-64.
- The Lions are averaging 68.0 points per game on 38.1-percent shooting as a team. They also add 38.0 total rebounds per game.
- Junior Mary Redmond is leading the Lions in scoring, averaging 13.8 points per game, which is good for sixth in the SSC. She is also averaging 3.5 made three-point shots per game. She has connected on 48.3-percent of her shots from long range this season.
- Senior Chelsy Springs leads the team in rebounding, snagging 8.8 per game, which is good for third in the SSC. She also adds 11.8 points per game.
- Embry-Riddle holds a 4-2 record heading into the game, but are currently on a two-game losing streak following a loss to Central Missouri, 68-50, and a loss to North Georgia, 60-34.
- The Eagles average 59.0 points per game on 38.0-percent shooting. They average 18.2 turnovers but force their opponents into slightly more at 18.7.
- Sabrina Whiting leads the Eagles in scoring at 12.5, adding 3.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists. Mercedes Jorge follows at 10.0 points while grabbing a team-high 5.7 rebounds per game.
- Barry is currently 2-3 on the season, with a 1-1 SSC record. The Bucs will host Nova Southeastern on Wednesday. The Bucs will head to Saint Leo with a 0-1 road record.
- The Bucs are averaging 56.8 points per game on 40.7-percent shooting. They only commit 15.5 turnovers per game, but they also only force 12.8. They only average 5.0 steals per game as a team.
- Lauren Seyranian leads Barry in scoring at 14.0 points per game, and Kiara Palmer follows with 13.5 points while added 7.0 rebounds
Men's Basketball Notes
- Saint Leo will host two games this week with Embry-Riddle Nov. 30 and No. 5 Barry on Dec. 3
- The Lions (2-4, 0-1 SSC) welcome in Embry-Riddle (4-2) for the midweek matchup.
- Saint Leo enters after an 88-87 victory over Molloy on Saturday, Nov. 26 in the Bowman Center. In the win, Marcus Dewberry hit two free throws with 0.0 on the clock to push the Lions to the victory. With 2.2 seconds left on the clock, Dewberry attempted a three-pointer, missing, but he got fouled on the play where he headed to the free throw line. The referees left no time on the clock where Dewberry was forced to win the game for the Lions.
- In the contest, Justin Satchell led the way with 25 points on 10-18 shooting from the field. Satchell finished the night 4-6 from the three point range and 1-2 from the charity stripe. Satchell added six rebounds, two assists and two steals to his stat line.
- Three other Lions were in double-figures as Darius Huggins and Dewberry tallied 12 points apiece and Tyreece Brice came off the bench and scored 10 points. Huggins ended the game two rebounds shy of a double-double as he snagged team-high eight rebounds.
- On the year, the Lions are led by Marcus Dewberry on the offensive front as he averages 23.0 points per game in 35.3 minutes played. Justin Satchell averages 13.2 ppg, while Davon Payne sits at 11.2 ppg and Tyreece Brice averages 10.7 ppg. Antoine Tobias leads the team in rebounds per game with a 6.3 average where Satchell is close on his heels with 6.0 rpg.
- As a team, the Lions average 86.5 points per game and give up 85.2 points per game.
- EMBRY-RIDDLE enters after winning the Daytona Mitsubishi/KIA Shootout with back-to-back wins over St. Augustine’s (67-59) and Francis Marion (86-77) on Nov. 25 and 26.
- On the year, the Eagles are led by Dalton Barnes who averages 17.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg and 6.3 assists per game. Just behind Barnes is Skyler Hogan who averages 14.5 ppg, 9.7 rpg and 3.0 apg. Two other Eagles average double-figures in the scoring column with Dillion Graham at 13.2 ppg and Shaquan McArthur at 10.8 ppg.
- As a team, the Eagles average 84.83 points per game and hold their opponents to 72 points per game.
- No. 9 BARRY enters the weekend after opening their season with a 5-0 record and 2-0 SSC mark. The red-hot Buccaneers will host Nova Southeastern for their midweek contest on Wednesday.
- The Bucs swept the Cesar Odio Thanksgiving Classic with two wins over Shaw (95-70) and Florida National (100-90).
- On the year, the Buccaneers are led by Adrian Gonzalez who averages 21.0 ppg and 4.2 rpg. Elvar Fridriksson is second on the team in scoring with 15.0 ppg and 4.4 rpg where he averages 9.4 assists per game. Sawyer Glick and Arie Williams round out the double-digit averages on the roster with 13.2 ppg and 11.2 ppg, respectively.
- As a team, the Bucs average 95.6 ppg where they hold opponents to 77.8 ppg.