May 04, 2017
Track at FSU Seminole Twilight
Mike Long Track | Tallahassee, Fla.
- Saint Leo baseball briefly steps out of the Sunshine State Conference loop for this weekend’s two-game series against Flagler College out of the Peach Belt Conference. This will be the first meeting between the two teams since March 19, 2014, when Saint Leo posted a 15-13 win over the Saints at Southard Stadium. Flagler won a meeting a week earlier in St. Augustine by a 3-1 score.
- Saint Leo continues to rank among the top hitting teams in Division II with its .323 batting average. The Lions enter the weekend ranked third in the SSC, and 26th in all of Division II in hitting. Saint Leo’s 528 total hits this season is also third in the SSC and ranks 16th among Division II leaders.
- Among individual hitting leaders, redshirt junior Dylan Harris continues to pace the SSC with his .435 batting average – good enough for ninth in Division II. He also leads the conference with 87 total hits (second in Division II), and his 19 doubles are tied for second in the SSC (ninth in Division II).
- Senior Alex Mata enters the weekend needing five hits to surpass the current Saint Leo career hits record of 269 jointly held by Trevor Hall (1999-2002) and Matt Gifford (1994-98). Mata currently has 265 hits. He also enters the weekend with 761 career at bats, and needs one more AB to set a new Saint Leo career record in that category as well.
- Flagler College enters the series with Saint Leo with a 26-22 record, 12-12 in the Peach Belt Conference. These two games will serve as a final tune-up for the Saints prior to beginning the PBC Tournament on May 10 with a game against Georgia College. Flagler has gone 9-7 this season against Sunshine State Conference members (both current and provisional); their most recent outing against an SSC foe was on April 18, when the Saints notched a 4-2 win over Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach, Fla. Flagler bats .294 as a team but have one of the top hitters in the Peach Belt in Cole Ondrejka, who bats .370. The Saints’ lineup also features the top doubles hitter in Division II in Dylan Jones, who had 26 doubles this season.
- Saint Leo men’s and women’s track will have four entries in the final meet of the 2017 schedule, the Florida State University Seminole Twilight on Friday, May 5, at FSU’s Mike Long Track. Women’s runners Maria Fernandez (1500m) and Colett Rampf (5000m) and men’s runners Anthony Deleva (1500m) and Rafal Matuszczak (5000m) will be running.
- Schedule for Saint Leo events: 6:20 pm – Maria Fernandez; 6:35 pm – Anthony Deleva; 8:40 pm – Colett Rampf; 9:00 pm – Rafal Matuszczak