Jan 06, 2017
Swimming at Tampa Relays - 11 a.m.
University of Tampa Aquatic Center | Tampa, Fla.
- The Saint Leo men’s and women’s swim teams will return to the pool this Saturday, with a short trip to the University of Tampa to compete at the Tampa Relays. The meet opens what will be a busy month for the Lions, who also have a dual meet at Florida Tech, a home dual with Rollins, and a dual at Tampa.
- The meet will begin at 11:00 a.m. Joining Saint Leo and the University of Tampa will be York College (Pa.) and the University of Findlay (Ohio).
- Schedule for the meet is 800 Free Relay, 400 Fly Relay, 400 Breast Relay, 400 Back Relay, 500 Crescendo Relay (50 Free, 100 Free, 150 Free, 200 Free), 400 Medley Relay, 8x50 Free Relay, 3x166 SNARF Relay, 400 IM Relay, and 400 Free Relay. The women will swim before the men in all events.
- Head Coach Paul Mangen: “This is an event that’s fun for our swimmers. It’s a unique format, so it takes away some of the monotony to practice at this time of the year. It gives some of our swimmers a chance to do some different events, and the team atmosphere helps with the difficulty of the lineup.”
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team heads down I-275 for a Sunshine State Conference game against hosts the University of Tampa Spartans on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. in the Bob Martinez Athletics Center.
- Saint Leo enters the contest with a 5-7, 0-4 SSC record, and a 16-76 all-time record against the Spartans. The Lions dropped both games last season, falling 76-56 at Tampa, and losing 62-37 at home. Saint Leo’s last win over the Spartans came in the 2014-15 season with a 63-61 victory at home.
- The Lions rank second in the conference in turnovers forced, and are 59th in the nation for the same stat category. Saint Leo is also second in the SSC in scoring offense at 72.1 points per game. They are third in three-point field goals made per game.
- Freshman Madelin Lang leads the SSC in Assist Turnover Ratio with a 2.21 mark, which is good for 37th in the nation.
- Chelsy Springs leads the SSC in four statistical categories, Field Goals Attempted (170), Field Goals Made (79), Field Goal Percentage (46.5%), and Points Per Game (16.4). Most impressively, Springs leads all these categories and is only ninth in minutes played at 31.8.
- The match-up with Tampa forces the top two scorers in the conference in Springs and Tampa’s Elena De Alfredo (15.8 PPG) against each other. It will see Springs, the No. 3 rebounder in the SSC at 8.8 RPG, against Karma Jeremie, the No. 4 rebounder at 7.8, square off.
- Tampa is 9-3 on the season, and are 4-1 in Sunshine State Conference play. They have a 4-2 home record as well. The Spartans are currently riding a four-game winning streak.
- The Spartans allow just 53.0 points per game while holding teams to 36.6-percent shooting. They average 67.5 points per game themselves, on 48.7-percent shooting.
- Tampa has four players averaging double figures in De Alfredo, 15.8 PPG, Jeremie at 12.8, Faith Saunders adds 11.6, while Morgan Lumb adds 10.3.
Men's Basketball Notes
- Saint Leo hits the road for the first time in 2017 after a 62-61 win on Jan. 4 vs. Nova Southeastern to improve to 7-7, 2-3 SSC. The Spartans and Lions tip-off at 4:00 p.m. inside the Bob Martinez Athletics Center on Jan. 7.
- In the previous game against Nova Southeastern, the Lions were led by Marcus Dewberry and Justin Satchell as the lone Lions in double-figures. Dewberry finished with game-high 23 points, while Satchell finished with 15 points and seven rebounds.
- For Dewberry, it was his third straight 20+-point game as he now has seven of 14 games with 20+ points. A free throw sharp shooter, Dewberry carries an 11-for-11 streak into the game Saturday after going a perfect 6-for-6 on Wednesday night. Dewberry’s last missed free throw was on Dec. 19 vs. Benedict at the 2:33 mark in the first half, before going on to finish 8-for-9 from the line.
- Satchell’s 15 points were his ninth consecutive game in double-figures with eight straight games with seven or more rebounds.
- At the halfway point of the season, Dewberry and Satchell are 1-2, respectively in scoring per game with Dewberry at 19.1 and Satchell at 17.2. Tyreece Brice is third on the team in scoring with 11.4 ppg.
- The dynamic duo of Dewberry and Satchell are almost equal, the only difference? Free throws. Both players stand at 93 made field goals out of 189 attempts for Satchell and 190 attempts for Dewberry. Satchell holds a two made three-pointer mark over Dewberry with 32 on the season where Dewberry is at 30. Dewberry has made 27 extra trips to the free throw line and has connected on 52-56 for the year.
- Satchell leads the team in rebounds per game with 7.3 as Dewberry is second with 5.3 RPG. Dewberry is the team leader in assists per game with 5.1 as Brice is second with 4.1.
- As a team, the Lions average 81.2 points per game and hold opponents to 80.9 points per game.
- In the SSC rankings: Dewberry is fourth in scoring (19.1). Satchell is sixth in scoring (17.2) and sixth in rebounding (7.3). Satchell is ninth in field goal percentage (.492), and Dewberry is 10th in field goal percentage (.489). Satchell is seventh in the SSC in three-point field goal percentage (.432) while Dewberry is the league leader in free throw percentage (.929). Dewberry is fourth in assists per game (5.1) as Brice ranks seventh in apg (4.1). Brice and Dewberry sit fourth and sixth, respectively, in the SSC in assist to turnover ratio at 2.1 each. The trio – Dewberry (1.7), Brice (1.6), Satchell (1.3) - rank seventh, eighth and 11th in the SSC in steals per game, respectively.
- In the national rankings, Dewberry is in the top-17 in free throw percentage at 92.9.
- Tampa enters the contest with an 11-3, 4-1 SSC record after two road games and rides a six-game win streak. The Spartans won their two previous SSC matchups at Florida Southern (80-70) on Dec. 30 and Rollins (81-73) on Jan. 4.
- In their win at Rollins on Wednesday, the Spartans saw Marcel Robinson score game-high 33 points on 12-24 shooting from the field including 8-20 three-pointers. Robinson was joined by Mekhi Biffle in double-figures as Biffle finished with 14 points.
- After 14 games on the year, Tampa is led by Pat Bacon who has played nine games and has a 15.1 points per game average. Three other Spartans score double-figures on average led by Duke Shelton at 14.6, Marcel Robinson at 12.9 and Austin Rettig at 12.2.
- Shelton cleans up the boards with team-high 9.8 rebounds per game. Grant Bryant is second on the team with 7.0 RPG.
- Matt Johnson dishes out 5.9 assists per game to lead the team on the year where Freddy Ibrahim is second on the team with 3.3 apg.
- As a team, the Spartans are averaging 81.8 points per game and holding their opponents to 74.6 points.
- In the SSC rankings: Duke Shelton is the highest Spartan coming in at 14 in the SSC in scoring (14.6 ppg). Shelton is second in the league in rebounds per game (9.8) and second in field goal percentage (.661). Robinson is fourth in three-point field goal percentage in the SSC (.459), while Johnson is third in assists per game (5.6) and second in assist to turnover ratio with a 3.0.