Jan 03, 2017
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team takes on Nova Southeastern on Wednesday evening in a Sunshine State Conference battle at 5:30 PM. The Lions are currently 5-6 on the season and 0-4 in league play.
- Senior Chelsy Springs has been dynamite for the Lions so far this season. The forward is averaging 16.8 points per game on 48.7-percent shooting and averages 9.0 rebounds per game. She has four 20-plus point games, including the last three outings. She also leads the team with three double-doubles so far this season. Her 16.8 points per game lead the SSC.
- After going 1 for 9 through the first three games of the season, Ragen Dotson has made 20 of her last 52 attempts for 38.5-percent shooting. She has also made a three in every game since then.
- Saint Leo is averaging 72.6 points per game while grabbing 38.2 rebounds. They also dish out 15.2 assists per game.
- Nova Southeastern enters the match up with an 8-5 record and a 4-1 SSC record. The Sharks are looking to bounce back from a 57-53 loss versus Embry-Riddle. Nova is currently on a three-game losing streak.
- Christen Prasse, Megan Piggott, and Samantha Logan lead the Sharks this season. Prasse averages 12.3 points per game while grabbing 5.4 rebounds. Piggott averages 11.8 points, and Logan average 8.9 and a team-high 9.5 rebounds.
Men's Basketball Notes
- Saint Leo hosts Nova Southeastern in the first game of the New Year on January 4 inside the Marion Bowman Activities Center where the Lions and Sharks tip-off at 7:30 p.m.
- The Lions enter the contest at 6-7, 1-3 SSC after falling to Palm Beach Atlantic, 78-77, in the final seconds to close out the 2016 calendar year.
- Saint Leo saw Justin Satchell score game-high 27 points on 11-of-14 shooting from the field. Satchell added four three-pointers to his tally in five attempts, with one free throw to add up to his 27 points. He hauled in seven rebounds against the Sailfish while blocking two shots and assisting on one bucket for the Green and Gold.
- Two other athletes posted double-figures in Marcus Dewberry who had 21 points and Junior Searcy who put up 12 points. Dewberry joined Satchell and Necdet Gurkan with team-high seven rebounds on the night. Two other players combined for the remaining 17 points for Saint Leo on the evening as Antoine Tobias scored nine points and Tyreece Brice scored eight. Brice added five steals to his stat line.
- Thirteen games into the season, senior Marcus Dewberry leads the team as he averages 18.8 points per game. Dewberry is second on the team in rebounds per game with 5.5 and leads the team in assists per game at 5.3. Justin Satchell is second on the team in scoring with 17.4 ppg and leads the team with 7.3 rebounds per game. Tyreece Brice and Junior Searcy are third and fourth on the team, respectively, in scoring as Brice averages 12.1 ppg and Searcy at 11.3 ppg. Brice is second on the team in assists per game with 4.1.
- As a team, the Lions average 82.7 points per game and hold opponents just under that at 82.5 points per game.
- In the SSC rankings: Dewberry is fifth in scoring (18.8), Satchell is seventh in scoring (17.4) and sixth in rebounding (7.3). Dewberry leads the SSC in free throw percentage (.920) while he is fourth in assists (5.3). Brice ranks seventh in the conference in assists (4.1). Brice and Dewberry are fourth and fifth in the SSC in assist to turnover ratio at 2.2 each.
- Nova Southeastern enters the game at 4-8, 1-4 SSC after an 89-71 setback to Embry-Riddle on Dec. 30.
- The Sharks were led by Gerard Tarin who scored 17 points on 7-of-9 shooting from the field. Tarin pulled down five rebounds as well for Nova Southeastern. BJ Edwards and Felipe Souza were the other two Sharks in double-figures on the night as Edwards scored 14 points and Souza recorded 12. Souza came off the bench and went 4-of-6 from the field and 2-for-2 from three-point territory.
- After 12 games on the season, Nova Southeastern is led by Harrison Goodrick who averages 19.3 points per game. Three other Sharks average double-digits in Dwayne Gibson at 11.3 ppg, Gerard Tarin at 11.2 ppg and Troy Spears at 10.8 ppg.
- Goodrick is almost averaging a double-double as he leads the team with 9.8 rebounds per game. Tarin is second on the team as he hauls in an average of 7.9 rpg. BJ Edwards leads the team in assists per game with 3.5.
- As a team, the Sharks are averaging 76.5 points per game and allow opponents to score 80.6 points per game.
- In the SSC rankings: Goodrick ranks fourth in scoring (19.3), Goodrick ranks third in rebounding (9.5) and Tarin is fifth in rebounding (7.9), Tarin is third in the conference in field goal percentage at .590, and Dwayne Gibson is third in the SSC in blocks per game (1.2).