Jan 10, 2017
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team looks to get back on track following a tough three-game stretch. The Lions are 0-3 since coming back from Christmas break, falling to Palm Beach Atlantic, 78-77 in OT, and Nova Southeastern, 78-66, and dropping a second overtime loss to Tampa, 69-63. Over those 130 minutes of action, the Lions led for 91:09, a full 70-percent of the minutes played.
- Chelsy Springs leads the Lions offensively with 16.2 points per game and adds a team-best 8.5 boards per game as well. Ragen Dotson follows with 11.8 points per game while swatting away a team-high .8 blocks per game.
- Freshman Madelin Lang continues to lead the Sunshine State Conference in Assist/Turnover Ratio at 2.2. She is averaging 4.5 assists per game, good for third in the SSC, while only committing 2.0 turnovers per game.
- The Lions are currently averaging 71.4 points per game, which is second in the SSC but are allowing 74.5 points, which is last in the SSC.
- Lynn enters with a 7-6 record on the year, and a 2-4 SSC record. They are also 4-1 at home. They are averaging 68.2 points per game while holding opponents to 63.9 points per game. They are also outrebounding their opponents by 5.3 boards per game.
- Saint Leo and Lynn have played eight mutual opponents on the season so far. Lynn has a 3-5 record against them, while Saint Leo has a 2-6 record. Both of Saint Leo’s wins happened to occur on the campus of Lynn University during the Courtyard Holiday Classic. Both Saint Leo and Lynn went 2-0 at the tournament beating both Benedict and Miles out of the SIAC.
- The Fighting Knights are led by Paola Vazquez Concepcion, who averages 14.3 points per game on 3.2 made three point field goals per game.
- Rollins enters the week with an 8-5 record and a 3-3 SSC record. They open the week with a trip to Nova Southeastern on Wednesday before coming to Saint Leo on Saturday. Rollins allows just 61.8 points per game while scoring 69 points themselves.
- The Tars are led by Marie Gilbert who averages 12.1 points per game on the year. She adds 4.3 rebounds as well. Carly McLendon is an all-around force for the Tars as she averages 7.5 points and 7.1 rebounds while tacking on 31 blocks this season.
Men's Basketball Notes
- Saint Leo heads to Boca Raton to take on Lynn on Jan. 11 for a 7:30 p.m. tip-off inside the de Hoernle Sports & Cultural Center. The Lions enter the contest Wednesday with a 7-8, 2-4 SSC record after a 79-67 setback at Tampa Saturday, Jan. 7. Following the loss, Saint Leo sits in ninth place in the SSC standings.
- In the loss, Marcus Dewberry led all scorers with game-high 29 points. Dewberry was 13-of-24 from the field including 2-of-8 from beyond the three-point arc. Dewberry was 1-for-1 at the free throw line extending his free throw streak to 12 consecutive. Tyreece Brice came off the bench for Tampa and added 11 points for the Green and Gold as he joined Dewberry as the only two Lions in double-figures.
- For Dewberry, his 29 points were his fourth straight 20+-point game and now has eight of 15 games with 20+ points. He carries his free throw streak of 12 straight into the contest Wednesday. His last missed free throw was at the 2:33 mark in the first half against Benedict on Dec. 19 and has gone 2-for-2, 6-for-6, against Nova Southeastern on Jan. 4, and 1-for-1, on Jan. 7 at Tampa, since his last missed free throw.
- Brice’s 11 points on the night were his ninth double-figure performance of the year. He has scored in double-figures off the bench in five of seven games.
- On the year, three Lions average double-digits per game led by Marcus Dewberry with 19.8 points per game. Justin Satchell follows Dewberry close behind with 16.5 ppg where Tyreece Brice rounds out the trio with 11.4 ppg.
- Satchell leads the team in rebounds with 103 on the year with an average of 6.9 rebounds per game. Dewberry is second on the team in hauling down 75 total rebounds with 5.0 RPG. Dewberry and Brice are 1-2 in assists per game at 4.9 and 4.3, respectively.
- As a team, the Lions average 80.3 points per game and allow opponents to score 80.8 points per game.
- In the SSC rankings: Dewberry is fourth in scoring per game (19.8). Satchell is eight in scoring per game (16.5) and 11th in rebounds per game (6.9). Satchell is seventh in three-point field goal percentage (.436). Dewberry is the league leader in free throw percentage (.930). Dewberry is fourth in the SSC in assists per game (4.9) where Brice is sixth in assists per game (4.3). Brice is seventh in steals per game in the SSC (1.7).
- In the national rankings, Dewberry is in the top-10 in free throw percentage at .930.
- Lynn enters the mid-week game with an 8-5, 3-3 SSC record after dropping their previous contest Saturday at Embry-Riddle, 75-71. The Fighting Knights snapped a six-game win streak in the loss to the Eagles. Following the loss, Lynn sits in fifth in the SSC standings.
- In the loss to ERAU, four Knights scored in double-figures led by Marquan Botley and Juwan Frazier with 13 points apiece. Terrell Rogers and Darius James each added 11 points on the night as James hauled in eight rebounds. Vieux Kande grabbed team-high nine rebounds on the evening while scoring seven points.
- Through 13 games, the Fighting Knights are led by Jamal Palmer who averages a team-leading 16.8 points per game. Marquan Botley is close behind with 16.7 ppg where Rogers and Kevin O’Brien are third and fourth with 10.3 and 10.2 ppg, respectively.
- Kande averages 10.2 rebounds per game to lead the team where Allen Baez leads the team in assists per game with 3.5.
- As a team, the Fighting Knights average 78.7 points per game and hold opponents to 75.3 points.
- In the SSC rankings: Jamal Palmer and Marquan Botley are 6th and 7th in the SSC in scoring with Palmer in sixth (16.8) and Botley in seventh (16.5). Vieux Kande leads the league in rebounding with 132 total (10.2 rpg). Allen Baez ranks 12th in the SSC in assists per game (3.2) and is eighth in assist to turnover ratio (1.8). Kande is fifth in blocked shots per game (1.0) where Palmer is second in the SSC in steals with 20 (2.0 spg).
- Rollins enters the week with an 8-7, 2-4 SSC record before facing Nova Southeastern on Jan. 11 and Saint Leo on Jan. 14. The Tars take on the Sharks Wednesday after a 59-47 victory over Palm Beach Atlantic, which snapped a four-game skid.
- In the win, Rollins was led by Eric Castaneda who had 11 points and Joey Galvis who scored 10 off the bench. The Tars used defense to slow the Sailfish and hold them to 47 points.
- On the year, Sam Philpott leads the team with an average of 15.5 points per game where Jeff Merton stands at 14.9 ppg. Galvis is the last player to average double-figures as he averages 10.1 ppg.
- Merton hauls in team-high 5.1 rebounds per game where Connor McKim has the highest assists per game average at 3.7. Deion Clark is just behind with a 3.6 apg.
- On the year, the Tars average 81.3 points per game while allowing opponents to score 81.5 points.
- In the SSC rankings: Sam Philpott is 10th in scoring (15.5) as Jeff Merton is 11th (14.9). Philpott is fifth in field goal percentage (.579) while Joey Galvis is third in three-point field goal percentage (.470). Jeff Merton is eighth in three-point field goals per game (2.7) and leads the conference in steals with 37 on the year (2.5 per game).