Dec 09, 2016
Women's Basketball Notes
- The Saint Leo women’s basketball team takes on Eckerd on Saturday afternoon in Sunshine State Conference action. The Lions are currently 3-4, 0-2 SSC, but are fresh off a win over Ave Maria.
- In the 65-58 win over Ave Maria, the Lions saw Ragen Dotson tally 18 points, while Chelsy Springs added 15. The Lions connected on 77.8-percent from the free throw line, sinking 21 of 27. On the season, they hit just 61.3-percent.
- Springs leads the Lions in scoring at 14.0 points per game, while Dotson follows at 9.3. Both Gina Brierley and Nikira Hooks add 7.9 points.
- Springs also leads the Lions in rebounding, grabbing 7.9 per game.
- As a team, The Lions are averaging 66.1 points on 38.9-percent shooting. They also average 15.1 assists per game.
- Eckerd comes into the match atop the conference at 6-2, and 3-0 in conference play. They lead the conference in scoring offense at 74.3 points per game, while being second in scoring defense by holding teams to 54.0 ppg.
- The Tritons have four players averaging double-digit points on the season. Victoria Vine leads with 14.4 points, while Kacie Juday adds 13.5. Ashley Folsom tags on 11.1 points, and Anna Deegan ads 10.5.
Men's Basketball Notes
- Saint Leo enters the Sunshine State Conference matchup with Eckerd on a three-game win streak.
- The Lions 4-4, 1-1 SSC come into the contest after a week off following their upset over No. 9 Barry 99-93 in overtime on Dec. 3. Saint Leo handed the Buccaneers their first loss of the season with the win at home.
- The Lions were led by Justin Satchell who recorded game-high 28 points ahead of Tyreece Brice who had 26 points. Marcus Dewberry and Necdet Gurkan rounded out the double-figure scorers with 17 and 11 points respectively. Lawrence Watt and Drago Popovic led the bench scoring with 7 and 9 points, respectively, where Gary Hector tallied one point.
- On the year, Dewberry leads the team in scoring with 21.5 points per game where he is second in the SSC. Dewberry averages 4.5 assists per game which is tied for fourth in the SSC. Behind Dewberry, three others average double-figures led by Justin Satchell at 15.9 ppg, Tyreece Brice at 14.3 ppg and Necdet Gurkan at 10.0 ppg. Satchell leads the team in rebounding per game with 6.8. Antoine Tobias averages 5.4 rpg edging out Gurkan at 5.3.
- As a team, the Lions average 88.4 points per game and give up 85.8 points per game.
- Eckerd enters Saturday on a six-game win streak and with a 7-2 record, 2-1 mark in the SSC after picking up their seventh win and second SSC win at Rollins on Dec. 3, 82-73.
- The Tritons saw five score in double-figures led by Kevin Walsh with 17 points. Trevon Young recorded 15 points while Drushaun McLaurn tallied 13 and Obi Kyei with 12. Blake Morrow scored 13 points off the bench for Eckerd to lead the bench point scorers.
- On the season, McLaurn leads the team with 13.8 point per game and 6.7 rebounds per game. Walsh is second on the team with 12.4 ppg ahead of Young at 11.2 ppg and Morrow with 10.4 ppg. Kyei sits at 9.1 ppg and 7.0 rpg.
- As a team, the Tritons average 82.56 points per game and hold their opponents to 70.78.