Track at UF Tom Jones Memorial
Percy Beard Track | Gainesville, Fla.
- Saint Leo baseball plays its final road games of the 2017 season on Thursday and Friday when it travels to St. Petersburg, Fla., to face Sunshine State Conference rival Eckerd College. The Lions and the Tritons will play a single game on Thursday, April 27, followed by a doubleheader on Friday, April 28. The modified schedule is to allow Saint Leo’s senior baseball graduands to participate in Commencement exercises on Saturday afternoon.
- The Lions took two out of three games off Eckerd College last season at Southard Stadium, dropping the third and final game of the series after winning the first two games. The loss snapped Saint Leo’s 12-game winning streak over Eckerd dating back to the 2012 season.
- Saint Leo boasts one of the top hitters in Division II in redshirt junior Dylan Harris, who is second in the nation in total hits (79), 20th in batting average (.425), and 33th in doubles (16).
- At the conference level, senior Alex Mata also ranks among the SSC’s top players; he is second in the SSC in runs batted in (47) and fourth in doubles (15). Mata heads into the Eckerd College series with 261 career hits; he needs nine more hits to become Saint Leo’s all-time career hits leader, eclipsing the current mark of 269 held by Trevor Hall (1999-2002) and Matt Gifford (1994-98).
- Junior Lane Stancil enters the weekend series with a seven-game hitting streak; he has hit
- Eckerd College (17-24, 6-9 SSC) is currently eighth in the SSC standings. The Tritons are off a three-game SSC road series at Lynn University, where the Tritons took two out of three games off the previously nationally-ranked Fighting Knights. Second baseman Nick Conti paces the Tritons at the plate with a .363 average, with 21 RBI; third baseman Mitch Calandra is not far off that pace with his .359 average to go with a team-best 26 RBI and 12 doubles. Lefthander Dillon McCollough (6-3, 2.62 ERA, 74 K) and righthander Alex Moore (0-6, 5.28 ERA, 63 K) have been two of Eckerd’s most consistent starters for SSC weekends.
- No. 14 Saint Leo (35-12, 15-6 SSC) welcomes Rollins (28-22, 10-11 SSC) in for the final Sunshine State Conference regular season series. The Lions, who enter the weekend as the No. 1 team in the South Region rankings, dropped their last series at Palm Beach Atlantic two games to one after taking the final game 7-3.
- On the year, Kacie Kelly leads the team with a .436 batting average (71-163) with 12 doubles and a triple. Kelly has 33 RBI, second on the team, with 18 walks and 10 stolen bases while scoring 37 runs herself. Seven other Lions join Kelly in a .300 or better batting average led by Danielle Bottley (.368). Ciera Schumaker follows (.355), then Rachael Heath (.331), Samantha Ohmie (.321), Brittany Creamer (.319), Sarah Pauscher (.308) and Alyssa Wash (.301).
- Schumaker and Ohmie are first and third on the team in RBI with 38 and 32, respectively. Schumaker is second in doubles (11) while Ohmie leads the team with seven home runs.
- From the circle, Stephanie Adkins is the team leader with a 1.34 ERA and a 19-6 record. Adkins has recorded two saves and has pitched 16 complete games while tossing 156.1 innings. Adkins has 149 strikeouts in 30 appearances. Alison Mitts is second on the team with a 1.75 ERA, 9-4 record with one save in 112 innings of work. Mitts has 68 strikeouts in her 24 appearances. Sara Neuman owns a 2.09 ERA with a 6-1 record, and one save in 50.1 innings pitched. Neuman has 33 strikeouts in 17 appearances on the year.
- Rollins enters the weekend after defeating Barry 2-1 with a 13-3 game one and a 10-5 game three score. The Tars dropped game two 13-12 in 12 innings on April 22. Rollins sits just behind the Lions in runs scored with 262 on the year (Saint Leo 264).
- On the year, the Tars are led by Hailee Keisling with a .348 average (55-158). Just behind Keisling is Chelsea Reed (.342), Sarah Harrison (.340) and Rachel Minier (.308). Reed leads the team in RBI with 37, one ahead of Brianne Lint (36).
- From the circle, Grace Street has seen the most action with 148 innings of work and holds a 2.74 ERA with a 9-11 record. Besting Street’s record is Sara Piening at 15-9 with a 3.12 ERA in 136.2 innings of work. Street leads the team with 94 strikeouts where Piening is at 63 on the season. Erin Fortney (2.30 ERA, 2-1) has pitched in 21.1 innings where Amanda Guglietta (5.49 ERA, 2-1) has pitched in 21.2 innings. Tossing 10 innings on the year is Erin Crawford (4.90, 0-0).
- Saint Leo men’s track will have one student-athlete competing at Friday’s University of Florida Tom Jones Memorial track meet at UF’s Percy Beard Stadium. Senior Niclas Bez will be running in the 1500m.